1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Fractal Design R3 Cooling?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BloodlessDawn, 23 Jan 2012.

1. BloodlessDawn

BloodlessDawn I know nothing.

Hey,

When I get my next PC I'm thinking of going for the Fractal Design R3 Black Pearl. Well, whilst I'm willing to re-think my case choice, I'd rather work around the case than around a CPU cooler. I'd really like to Overclock too, but obviously this can only be done if the cooling is right.

From Recent reviews, I'm thinking of getting the Corsair H100. Is this something that can be put in the Fractal Design R3?

If the CS H100 and the FD R3 are... incompatible...
    Which should I be thinking about changing? The cooler or the case?

The case, I like because of it's looks and because of the silencing that comes with it, if there's another case that's very, very similar, but would do a better job, then please do recommend it!

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

2. Moppi

Moppi Minimodder

i have a r3 i dont think it will fit the h100 there was a thred about it before saying the fan spacing were too far a part so you could only fit 4 screws in.

i have the dark rock adv in mine and it runs ok can even hear the fan on the cooler.

3. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Have the r3 and antec kuhler 920. Not too bad.

4. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

R3 and h50 works a treat.

5. BloodlessDawn

Would a H80 fit in nicely?

6. Moppi

Moppi Minimodder

yes that should fit

7. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Plus there is hardly any space between the top of the motherboard and the roof, it is likely motherboard components would foul the space required for the radiator and fans. Single fan radiator should be OK, these are usually fit to the rear because of the motherboard issue, although they may fit in one of the two roof spaces, depending on where tall motherboard components (usually heatsinks) lie.

8. BloodlessDawn

What if I got the Define XL: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cases/fd-ca-def-xl-usb3-bl.html Rather than just the R3: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cases/cases/fd-ca-def-r3-usb3-bl.html

My guessing is that this would have better cooling functions in general, as well as be able to accommodate the H100 Cooler?
    [edit] It looks like it also wouldn't be able to accommodate the H100.
    Ahhh! What case to go forrrrr.... :S

[further edit] Found this thread: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=222975 Looks like I can have the H100 in an R3, so long as I don't mind it being held on with less screws... :S

Last edited: 24 Jan 2012