1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freddy Adu - heard of him?

Discussion in 'General' started by SitraAchra, 11 Mar 2004.

1. SitraAchra

SitraAchra Minimodder

Well I'm a huge soccer fan. Yes, I call it soccer because for 14 years that's what I played, so lets agree to call it what we want to before it becomes another silly argument...football = soccer.

ANYWAYS....I've been a huge fan of US Soccer since the world cup was here in 1994, and since then the US has gotten alot better and can actually compete internationally [quarterfinals in WC2002!].

I don't really have anyone to talk to about soccer in the states and I know you Brits know a thing or two about it ;) .

So have you heard of our new "star" player Freddy Adu, who is only 14 years old. And if so, do you think he's as good as they say, or just American hype to try and get us interested in a sport that always takes backseat to the big 4.

2. burnoutuk

burnoutuk What's a Dremel?

Yeah he plays for DC United doesnt he?

He looks a class act for his age, theres a few videos of him on the net.
    Theres alot of debate about his age though, he seems alot bigger than the other 14 year olds playing :p

Alot of the big English teams have shown an intrest but he cant move to a club abroad until he plays a competative (First team) match where he is.

Nottingham Forest are going over in the summer for pre-season training and are playing DC utd so Adu could be playing. :rock:

3. SitraAchra

SitraAchra Minimodder

I'm on the waiting list to see him and DC United play against the Dallas Burn June 26th. I can't wait! I hope he plays that day, the stadium will sell out.

4. cpu121

cpu121 What's a Dremel?

Isn't he not one of the "superplayers" in CM4?

5. burnoutuk

Yeah he is, i've got him in my team with Forest :)

6. tamffc

tamffc What's a Dremel?

how about you sell him to fulham and we will give you back brian mcbride in exchange,
    carlos bocanegra is not a bad player,when he is not getting red carded fo taking someone out,he has been renamed carlos choppernegra.

7. chadwick

chadwick What's a Dremel?

he needs to play in a decent league. not american basically. somewhere in europe where he can get out the full extent of his talents. i know man u have been watching him and they are going on another USA tour this summer. so who knows.

8. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

I've heard of Freddy Adu, sure, but I've heard little else other than he's good.

To see how good he is, though, I think he'd need to play his football somewhere else. No disrespect to the American league, but in my opinion it doesn't compare in terms of the skill shown by the average player to the top leagues in Europe ala the Premiership, Serie A, La Liga etc. I'm sure if he's good enough though a move will be in the offing, in a few years though given his age (if he really is only 14).

9. SitraAchra

SitraAchra Minimodder

I think it'd be best for him to play in Europe as well. The American league is still new and I think we've got him just so he can "grow up" in America with his family,but I wouldn't be surprised if he hops the pond in a few years.

A little OT but who do you guys think will win the next WC in Germany? I personally think Germany will win considering home advantage and how well they played previously. I think Brazil has had its moment [or 5 moments if you're counting :lol: ]

10. chadwick

well could be any one of 5 or 6 teams.

france
    argentina
    brazil
    spain
    germany
    england

would be the six i would choose from. France have extremely good players. just scroll down the list and all of them will be playing for a top european side.

argentina have always been there or there abouts when it comes to world cups. always a side that could go all the way

brazil of course. super talented in every area of the park. can never right them off

spain. again superb side. got talent like Raul. such depth to, can never seem to make it stick in bug events tho

germany. home advantage even tho they dont have the greatest players they know how to work as a unit

and of course england. i am sure we will be there. can actually predict that the team will be similar like it is today

gk: james or robinson
    df: g neville, rio ferdinand, sol campbell, a cole
    md: joe cole, gerrard, scholes, beckham
    str: rooney, owen

i pick joe cole on the left purely for the fact i think in a couple of years hes going to be a superb player for chelsea knowing all the talent they have in midfield. cant really rule out players like frank lampard and john terry tho..there will be fights for places i am sure.

not sure if england can win it. but we know they have the talent that can take them a long way if they just work as a unit. its gotta come back home someday

11. burnoutuk

I doubt Joe coles ever going to get near the chelsea first team, sure hes talented but chelsea are going to be looking for better.

Theres talk of Cole going on loan for the rest of the season.

For England Lampard will be in the team before Cole and on present form Scholes.

12. chadwick

who else would play down the left

lampard will noooo way take the place of scholes..he is as important to england as beckham. He is so under-rated in the premiership its not even funny. you watch the guy play, his awareness is unreal. you know if scholes plays well you are going to have a superb attacking game. lampard is not proven in the england team.

13. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

Alan Thompsen at Celtic is far and away the best left sided english midfielder at the moment.

Sam

14. chadwick

i dont see him being considered by Sven tho :/ not seen him in action tho. but cant say that celtics opposition is up to much. Could probably judge him if he played in a slightly more competitive league

15. Uncle Psychosis

Yeah 'cos beating Boavista, Blackburn, Liverpool, Stutgart, Celta Vigo, Juventus, Ajax, Barcelona etc is probably a bit too easy...

Sam

16. chadwick

look at your regular opposition though. no wonder you have gone 60 odd games unbeaten at home. the SPL has two teams in it, the others just make up the numbers. Play in the premiership and see how you fair. Would improve your players in every aspect

17. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

i agree with McSam, alan thompson is prob the best left sided englishman right at the moment, he is a bit of a dirty *******, but he has a knack of scoring in the big games for celtic (european games).

Other than him id say the prospects are joe cole and stewart downing (at boro)

18. Uncle Psychosis

I'm not a Celtic fan mate. However, the last two times celtic played premiership teams on their own turf (ie in England) they hammered them...

Anyway, the premiership only has 3 teams in it! 2 from 12 is statistically better than 3 from 20 :D Just 'cos the standard is higher doesn't mean that its any more competitive.

Sam

19. -A-

-A- What's a Dremel?

Yeh theres been loads of interest from Premiership clubs and i heard somethign about Real Madrid enquiring

-A-

20. chadwick

any team can beat any team in the premiership. can that be said in the SPL. ok rangers can be beaten but can celtic be beaten at home regularly