1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fresh install... or not!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Trefarm, 27 Feb 2008.

1. Trefarm

Trefarm No matter what... It's all good

Hi...
    I'm trying to install Vista Home Premium 64 OEM on my system, it's a new build so blank slate time...

1/ Tweak the Bios according to Asus recommendations (Asus P5K)

2/ Drop in the DVD...

3/ Go through the initiall rigmarole of where do you want it e.t.c

4/ Happily transfers files to my HDD (Samsung t166 spinpoint 500GB)

5/ Starts unpacking and then about 40% gives me an error message '0x80070003' along with the message that the files are missing... (sorry don't have exact wording)

The only help MSoft could offer with my poor searching skills was a disc defect (lots of FAQ's for upgrading but not fresh install)... I duly check the disc wiped off the most miniscule bit of fluff assured myself it was pristine and tried again, straight back to step 5 with the same error message...

I read about the OPK kit on the packaging but don't (think) I have it... again researched the issue a bit on Microsoft.com but gave up after it implied I had to be Dell or equiv'

Please feel free to point out any dumb ass mistakes i'm making thanks tech's

2. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Try using another disk if you can.
    The ones with SP1 slipstreamed in should be available to download from the usual sources soon enough and they may help.
    I believe that every Vista disc is able to install all versions of the OS, it just depends on your key. :)

3. Major

Major Guest

Just ring up the Microsoft Call Centre in India, they give away activation codes like there is no tomorrow! :D

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

5. saxman

saxman What's a Dremel?

often the DVD drive don't have a corresponding firmware. I had this issue with a machine. Had to update the firmware on an XP machine and then i worked fine. or you can swap the drive for a different one for the install. It is kinda random why some just aren't supported. I had issues with an LG and ASUS brands. Good Luck.

6. Trefarm

Guess which brand I've got, a new 'Asus' Lightscribe damn it!

Thanks for your advice guys I'll try to dig out another drive from somewhere see if that solves the issue... EDIT... it's not working unfortunately I tried with my bro's old IDE drive it's brought up this...

"Windows cannot install required files.The file does not exist. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation.
    Error Code : 0x80070003"

This is the same issue as before, any more ideas? Could it be a duff DVD?

At this rate 'Glider' might have another convert if only to see if my new uber system actually runs :D

Last edited: 28 Feb 2008
  7. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

;)

8. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I actually found vista killed 4 dvd-rw opticals on my comp, (2 pairs) those were pioneer's. My old sony dvd-rw, however, just soldiers on no problems, just a bit slow.

I think something is a bit borked with the samsung replacement i bought as well now!! GRRRRRR hmph

9. Trefarm

I've only the single disc with 'OEM'... typically I'm the Vista guinea pig amoungst my friends so no chance of borrowing another copy :sigh:

Last edited: 2 Mar 2008
  10. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

;)

You have a legit key so I'd just download another copy of the install disk and install from that and use your legit key. :)

11. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Is it possible to create two partitions on the hard drive, manually copy all files on the second partition and initiate installation on the first partition? If Vista install isn't getting along with the dvd/drive during installation, perhaps the other could work. Just an idea -- feel free to shoot it down in flames. ;)

Tags: