1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning From the Ashes

Discussion in 'Modding' started by phoenixck, 15 May 2013.

1. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,
    I've just received delivery of a fractal arc midi (2) and am planning my first total mod (with a uni society).
    There's going to be a 360 rad in the top with push pull as well as a fan controller in the odd slot (which is going to be the biggest issue to over come but having fitted parts of it already I'm sure it is possible, if difficult.
    There'll be three intake fans, two 140's in the front one in the base.
    Other modifications will include the front i/o and replacement of the tinted window with a clear panel.
    The colour scheme is a simple black/copper with red accents.
    The hardware will be a maximus gene v, i7 3770k, gtx 680, fan controller (tbd), 120gb ssd and 1tb hdd.
    Watercooling will be provided by a d5 vario in a ek 140 csq top/res combo, rx 360, copper 1/2 barbs with copper clips, 7/16 clear tubing, aquagrfx 680 copper block, ek supremacy (full copper).

As an aside I've just fitted the hardware into the case to see how it looks and fits, and I must say having worked with many cases I've never seen a more solid construction except in the full aluminium towers. Whilst the hdd and optical bays a bit of a pain to install things in as they're not tool-less everything seems so well made. Also it's a little bit more squat than the pictures I've seen make it appear, but not in an ugly way. the best thing about this case has got to be how much space is available for cables behind the motherboard tray, I know it seems strange to say. However, anyone who's built a pc can tell you how much of a pain it is to tidy those thick psu cables in the tiny space between the tray and the panel.

As this gets under way I'll add pictures and get a project log going.

Any comments are welcome, especially about the watercooling setup, colour scheme (as the coolant colour is still tbd) and general idea behind it.

2. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

Will be putting up pictures soon. Cut most of the steel sheet into the shapes I need and holy cow does the dremel go through the cutting discs.... btw I'm using them at roughly 2500 rpm is this about right for cutting 1.2mm steel sheet? It says so in the manual but I'm getting scorch marks on the sheet......
    Little update btw.... I'll be mounting the five bay hdd cage on the bottom and have had to cut the little tabs off the cage.
    Next up I'll be cutting the odd drive out (only one side, which will be reinforced, so I can still get a fan controller in).