Other FTP Server :Isp Result:

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ryu_ookami, 16 Mar 2014.

1. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

I'm trying to make an FTP server on a home pc for sharing files between friends and family (holiday snaps mainly). I thought I had done it right however everyone's getting the error 530 pictured below.

[​IMG]

and I'm not sure where I've gone wrong

I've basically followed this guide

Any help would be appreciated because I have no idea where I've gone wrong.

Last edited: 16 Mar 2014
  2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Have you set up their permissions corretly. To access the ftp server

3. Ryu_ookami

Yeah, apparently what I've forgotten to do was forward the port however seeing as I've also forgotten the routers login details. I'm going to have to reset the router to factory default and then login and then forward the port.

EDIT: I've just reset the router to factory default however now when I try and access the routers setting I get this happen:

[​IMG]

So its not even getting to the stage of asking for the username and password. Its just timing out!

However I can still access the internet as normal so the routers still working.

Any ideas

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

In command type "ipconfig /all" look for the default gateway address. Type that address into your browser. Or try 192.168.0.1

5. Ryu_ookami

Okay, after talking to TalkTalk and running through several tests it turns out that they can't access the router from their end either so according to them its broke and they are sending us a new router free of charge in the post. not sure how its broke as its only the router settings I can't access but free is free so.....

WoooHoooo free router :)

6. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Feel free to raise a thread in the TalkTalk forum.
    We have some helpful people over there that can give you a guide per device :)

7. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

Couple of things with FTP

Firstly, if your having issues setting it up then are the people your sharing with going to have difficulty connecting?? Also is your upstream bandwidth good enough to make this anything other than painfully slow??

Have you thought about using a file sharing service dropbox for example??

Secondly, if your running an FTP server (especially on default ports) you will get random unfriendly people trying to log in (and this happens a lot!!) make sure you set up strong passwords, and have your server black list IPs after multiple wrong password attempts or your ftp server will get compromised sooner or later.

8. yazooo

yazooo What's a Dremel?

I would echo the above statement, would move to a random not used port, and use SFTP as well. Again really only bother if your upload speeds are decent. I have now used a VPN server instead and then run a local FTP server, little bit more secure.

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

got a spare machine? get yourself a copy of windows home server, set that up, use that to share photos etc, as it has built in functionality for that.

yes whs does have internet file sharing capability.