1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling fuel pump->searching for a pump(cheap)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by at_b, 18 Nov 2003.

1. at_b

at_b What's a Dremel?

anyone knows if it s ok to use an electric fuel pump from a car? they don t have high flow but they do have high pressure 50 psi or so...actuallly...i am very bad with physics stuff...so i don t know if 50 psi is a lot,but from what i remeber it sure sounds like it...
    so, anyway, back to the question...would thse pumps work to circulate water in a watercooled rig?
    i ve heard that they are not noisy but i do not know about size and heat...
    well...if anyone has any idea, please post
    thanks

Last edited: 20 Nov 2003
  2. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

If i remember correctly fuel pumps are ridiculously low flow...and very noisy

3. at_b

at_b What's a Dremel?

found somethin like 200 liters per hour unrestricted flow
    and they might be noisy :sigh: you just don t hear them because they are in the tank...and probably well isolated

well...maybe someone really knows:)

4. at_b

at_b What's a Dremel?

found out that a A Boeing 747's pump would do nicely with 3800gph in cruise mode and maybe 10000gph on take off
    but something tells me that would be too much
    also, it seems the adequate fuel pumps would be those from v8 and big engines liek that but those seem to be noisy...
    the search continues...

5. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Not sure on the flow but my truck fuel pump is rated at 100dB

6. at_b

at_b What's a Dremel?

OUCH
    but that one should have a nicer flow....
    :wallbash:

7. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

I dout it

8. Sid

Sid Banned

I dread to think of the amount of heat that the 747's pump would put into the system.

9. at_b

at_b What's a Dremel?

i dread the size, the noise and the cost of it...and where i will find it...
    :p

well, thanks to all the people that showed intrest...it seems like a :nono:, but i searched this forum and did not find anything similar so this might be useful material to all the guys that will have "brilliant" ideas related to this in the future...and the useful aprt would be to forget it unless they don t mind the noise

10. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

i have always wondered about centeral heating water pumps, the head on them must be fantastic, i live in a 3 story house and the pump we have is quite beefy, would be intersting one to try although the connectors are like 2 inch lol

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Overclockers.com looked at a fuel pump at some point. The problem (besides the noise) is that they pulse (at about 5 Hz?). As such all your tubing, rad, blocks etc. start to pulse as well and create this mad jiggling effect which not only gets on your nerves real soon but is bound to do some structural damage at some point. Think of your whole PC acting like a mobile phone on "vibrate", dancing accross the desktop. :D

My pump, the Johnson CM30P7-1 is used (amongst other purposes) as a central heating/circulation pump for entire yachts. No great leap in application as it was originally meant to circulate coolant through car/motorboat engine superchargers or turbos. And it runs on 12V. Flow? You betcha, jah. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Nov 2003
  12. at_b

at_b What's a Dremel?

i read all your posts and bigbens2k's(sp?) on that pump(the cheap version) on procooling(and in your project log here although i can t remeber much from your logs on it except it was 12) and i know all the details on it.
    the problem seems the relative short life span it has :waah:
    another problem for me would be that the shipping costs would pobably kill me(this in the happy event that i would manage to convice someone to get it for me, because i can t order) in case they would actually ship here.
    so,having the fuel pump idea out i m looking at all kinds of aquarium pumps and filters that have a powerhead attached(oh yeah...no eheims(sp?) here or rio or via or little giant)...
    must pay some pet stores some visits, so far, i ve found a fountain pump with 2 or 3000 lph and 3.2 meters of head but it s too big and it s around 60 bucks and a lot of small ones like 250lph but i don t think they can push water upwards very much...
    so i m kind of lost with what to do...

13. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

I don't get it...what are you looking for exactly?

14. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

I really must stop doing this sort of thing but it's kind of on-topic and it'll save making another gratuitous "day in the life of" post...
    By sheer coincidence, the courier brought me a new toy this morning...

12Volt, high flow, low noise, mmm.
    [Edit] Did I mention 3-year warranty? I don't think I did... :naughty:

[​IMG]

also available in 700lph & 1500lph (12V) versions.

German language review at Modding-faq.de

I love my job. :D

15. at_b

at_b What's a Dremel?

sorry dude for slightly going away from the topic
    i was looking for a cheap alternative of a pump for starting on a watercooled rig since i live in a fockin country somewhere in the middle of nowhere and nobody brings "good" stuff around here...
    once again, sorry for rambling around...

Pug, dude...did u manage to test that pump a bit? what will be the price on it? If it s something humanly bearable i might want one :)

ps. scope, i really luv your prime...especially with all that watercooled^2 stuff u got from pug :brrr:

/edit
    Es gibt sie noch als 700 und 1500 l/h Version. Die AP700 kostet 59.90€, die AP900 kostet 69.90€ und die AP1500 kostet 99.90€.
    that says it all...hmm that s abut the topmost i would have available to spend on the pump, and that s without shipping...
    Pug, if you stock those, could you give me a price and a shippment estimate to Romania, if it s possible...thanks

/edit2 change the title of the thread to reflect better the new direction of the discussion

16. Nexxo

A MTBF of 10.000 hours? I don't think that's a problem. In practice it will easily last 5 years or more. Besides consider it is built for hostile environments: engine bays, exposed to vibration, heat, pebble scatter etc. It's the only pump you can clean with a high-pressure steam cleaner. :D The motor is brushless so that will pretty much last indefinitely. It has no seal to wear out. The plastic housing is glassfibre reinforced...

This is a sturdy pump. Don't worry about it; the price reflects its build quality.

Still, nice pump you dug up there, Pug. :naughty:

17. at_b

at_b What's a Dremel?

sorry...i was reffering to the cheap one 30 bucks i think that was posted on procooling...still around 200 on stock and they had a MTBF of 2500hours...

hope my memory isn t that bad that i m mixing something up...i ll go check the thread again...

18. Nexxo

You're right about those. I wouldn't buy one; they're at the cheap-ass end of the range. It is a bit confusing, as they all look about the same but their serial codes all reveal different specs.

The Johnson CO versions (like the CO10P5-1) are the direct-drive mechanical seal versions. They also have brushed motors. Their MTBF is 2500 hrs. but they're prone to leakage.

The CM versions are magnetic seal. Now you have two main lines: the Johnson CM10P7-1 and the CM30P7-1. The latter has a bigger capacity and has the brushless motor (I'm not sure about the CM10P7-1; it might do as well).

To complicate matters there's the Jabsco 59500-0012 which is meant as an alternative to the Johnson CO10P5-1 and CM10P7-1, and has a magnetic seal and a brushed motor. It's MTBF is again 2500 hours.

Then there is also a Bosch 12V pump; basically identical to the Johnson CM30P7-1, also with brushless motor, and a MTBF of 10.000 hours. I'm not sure, but it may be the one that can be got :here: for 145 Euro.

[​IMG]

And Bosch also do a smaller 12V one, again magnetic drive, brushless, 4GPM, for car engine watercooling:

[​IMG]

Confused yet? :confused: The only issue with my pump is the price... When I bought it, there simply weren't any other 12V pumps on the market yet, like the Swiftech one, the new Eheims or the pump Pug just showed us. All of these are good alternatives. they're less powerful, but that really makes no appreciable difference in performance IMHO.

19. at_b

at_b What's a Dremel?

well...i want to have a white water like block, a gpu, a nb block, a mosfet pipe over copper block and a 2HDD s block...and of course the rad and the res
    with the res i have 2 options a 26*14*5 heatercore(cm, w*h*depth) or a smaller one...something like 14*16*5 or somewhere along those lines. If i pick the big one, i ll need to put it in the top of the case, if i go with the small one i can make a hole for him in the lower front of the case...about where your firsst fan is nexxo...
    the problem with the big res is that it ill be the tallest point in the loop, higher than the res by about 5 cm so the whole problem with air bubbles and such...but i will probably need to go with it because of the large numbers of things i am trying to cool

so, can someone suggest me a pump for the above loop? i would like to have as less noise as possible and not have more than 2 fans on the comp, on the core...
    would an 1048 be good? from what i know i need as much head as i can...so i found a pump with 3.2 meters of head but it s fairly big, and i would guess it adds a lot of heat too...
    well...if anyone has any suggestions, please don t hesitate ;)

Tags: