1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Funny Newegg.com review

Discussion in 'General' started by infered101, 19 Oct 2006.

1. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

I was searching around today for a monitor. I typed in HDCP in the search engine, started looking at a deal they had with an ENermax liberty and XFX 9750 XTREME. WHen this beauty of a review was at the bottom of the Enermax liberty 620 page.

Powersupply just blew yesterday

Pros: Was very easy to install and the seceltion of power plug options was nice.

Cons: Same as a lot of posts here. Bought it in March 2006 and about 10 months later it was blown.

Other Thoughts: I am running nVidia SLI and leave my system running almost every day. Rebooting as necessary. Came home one day and CPU was off. Tried to restart and heard a pop behind the tower where PS is.

Now i dont know maybe its just me but i found this funny. For one he says 10 months from March 2006 it blew up. Last time a checked it is October and March is the third month of the year. SO doing some math this person is from 3 months in the future. Then you get the alfamous use of the acronym CPU in the article. I always love when people call a computer a CPU it just makes me laugh. ANyways i dont know maybe its just that its early in the morning that i get a chuckle from that or maybe its the fact that this person bought a 160$ PSU and yet he calls a COmputer a CPU and he cant add for shitake mushrooms.

2. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Ha, you should do tech support man. Some people make this guy look like a computer genius.

3. riggs

riggs ^_^

Does he really mean "the PC was off", or was he acutually trying to say "the CPU had fallen off"? :D

But yeah, the guy sounds like a genius...

4. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

Although "computer" is probably more common in useage, the term "CPU" can be more specific. As an example, "My computer has a bad monitor (or printer) that needs to be fixed." It can also mean the very specific component "central processing unit." But, if it was the tower or (desktop) portion that needs repair then it would be more specific to refer to that unit as the "CPU." It has long been a term used that way - All the way from when there used to be "dummy terminals" that had no tower (or CPU) associated with that exact terminal.

As for the term "PC", it is now thought of as a "personal computer." However, I believe it was primarily associated with IBM's offering to the market many years ago. This was more exact then saying computer because back then the "Apple" and later the "Mac" were given their due instead of just using the generic term. Also, PC or Apple was a smaller computer than a mainframe which was more common at the time.

As for the math, I don't think there has been a change in the calender lately.

Last edited: 19 Oct 2006
  5. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

That was what I thought at first too. Then I realised, oh yea, most idiots call a computer a CPU. Would have been funnier if the first was true though. :D

*sigh*

_C

6. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

As somebody who has been computing since the age of punch cards, I can say that I am no idiot. I have called a tower a CPU many times. It is hard to understand why people can't use that term. It is where the CPU is located. It is the most obvious component too. I have seen this in college text books too.

My work has been involved with the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) industry. Ever wonder what DFSM is? It's the green stuff on the surface of the circuit board. It stands for Dry Film Solder Mask. Give me a board and with the naked eye I can tell you if it has imperfections. I could say, "Hey, did you see those mouse bites on that mask?" to a co-worker. But, I wouldn't expect most people to have a clue what they were (or what caused them). So, I would just refer to them as imperfections on the circuit board. There really is no need to quibble about layers.

:thumb:

7. infered101

Well from my side of the word i see it as incorrect. YOU dont call a car an engine or an alternator do you. So why should calling a computer a CPU be right. IM not saying people are idiots who say it, its just its not a correct term.

Anyways past that i found another one today. It was on the corsair HX520 PSU.

Ok, I guess since its Modular, a "modded UV fan" would of been nice to show off the superior components inside the p.s., lol, wont void my warrenty to add one either.lol

NOw maybe im wrong but "Modular" doesnt mean "modded". I might be wrong but Modular means its flexible and the cabels are interchangeable right.

8. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Pros: stable power, sleeved cables, sli ready and dual fan.

Cons: runs hot.

Other Thoughts: at 1000w you can only have one system running this per room at home. a house plug can only handle 1800w max. if you want to have more than one system using this PSU in the same room then i suggest hiring an electrician to make separate power line for each plug that lead directly to your electrical box.

Heres a good one this guy seems to think that since it is rated at 1000 watts it will use 1000 watts. My PSU is rated for 10 amps at 120 volts so since its only about 450 watts I woudl think that this PSU would be rated 20+ but since computers rarely draw near the power the supply can deliver ever No need to worry. As for running hot swtiching 120 volts AC to a variety of DC voltages isn't exactly cool at 1000 watts load handling.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...+750+EPS12V+EPS12V+750W+Power+Supply+-+Retail

THats a very very nice picture of a NIB pwoer cord.

Last edited: 22 Oct 2006
  9. infered101

I wonder if anyone has RMed a power supply for something like that.

"My power cable is bent so i need a new PSU".

10. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Just one thing on the house wiring, just want to make sure I'm right. But all housing rings are 30A even though the sockets are 13A right?

So you could have at least 2 in a room.

I'm also sure I have a 2500Watt fan heater too --- not that I can afford to use it.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2006
  11. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

SOmthing to keep in mind here...

The watt rating on a PSU is it's capicity. Just because it's a 1kW PSU doesn't mean that it always draws 1000 watts. That means that it can dispense a maximum os 1000 watts depending on what the components attached to it draw. You could hook a 1 kw PSU to a shuttle and it would still only draw 100 or so watts. Wattage = Volts x amps. Voltage is fixed (220 in the EU / UK and 110 (ish) in the US) and amperage varies by load. Unless you have a massive computer that actually draws 1000 watts you're not using that kind of power, even if you have a 1kw PSU.

As for mains ratings, most circut breakers in the US are rater at 15A for household outlets. 110 x 15 =1650 Watts available per circut. Assuming wharrad is right and the standard in the UK is 13 A the total wattage available is 2860 Watts.

Typically there will be more than one outlet on a circut, and so the current draw on that circut is the sum of the amperages of all the devices hooked to it. If you have trouble with yur breaker blowing under load, try moving some of the other things in the room to different outlets. Might help. It is possible to get a larger capicity breaker installed, but I would consult an electrician about the amperage ratings of your house wiring before doing so.