1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress future ne[]n - 100% complete!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by sethnmalice, 16 Aug 2007.

1. sethnmalice

sethnmalice What's a Dremel?

@HourBeforeDawn, positioning of the cathodes may change so i may end up putting in alu strips at the bottom too, still undecided though, I stopped feeling the pain in my hads and fingers a month ago, i have been cutting myself more and more everyday though, might take a few days off.

@khanage0, thnx :) going to keep trying to take it to the next level :)

@brinkz0r, thnx :)

@razzta010, me n you both, when u see hardware mounted you'll know im close to finishing it.

@theAlien, blacks a nice contrast against the polished alu and red acrylic and in my opinion, the best color theme on the planet lol.

@Omni-Blade, thnx :) i'll invite you over to check it out person ;)

@gar, thats very true, but not everyone can dream like that, would be great to see this machined to perfection, but then i wonder if it had been would i have changed it as often as i have, i just keep re-working the canvas till im happy with it.:)

@ComputerKing, cables are going to be a nightmare, even though most cables wont be visible, im going to make them all neat a tidy regardless.

@TNash, has a nice 'POP' to it! :)

@RobinMessage, you should build one too, preperation and patience and some tools too :)

2. sethnmalice

Mini update,

No matter how many times i plan things i just dont seem to go with the original concept, so with that in mind, i chjanged the in which the fan and light bus is going to be.

I have all this real estate under the case, thats covered by the lower base panel, and i just covered it up, because i couldnt think of something to do with it.

But, I have found a purpose.
    Before that though, let me guide you through the process that got me there.

Fanbus usually equals lots of cables going everywhere, even when neat and tidy, they are still there, some people hide them in the back of their mobo trays or under them, or somewhere not visible, I dont have that option, the case is fairly open, except at the bottom.
    Now how do i get all those cables under there and hide the cables from above, well i cant really, unless someone invented wireless fans???.

So what I did was this...

[​IMG]
    This is the base panel, i have drilled 5 holes in each corner of the case, and put in a steel 4 pin pluggy thing (dont know its actual name), theres a second one top right, this will be power , the other 4 are for each fan, appropriately placed, to reduce the distance between each fan, and also keep it very neat and tidy, and all other cables (the major wiring will be hidden under the case)

[​IMG]
    Looking inside the case , you can see each plug in its spot.
    All fans will be guided to each port, and power directly from the PSU to the plu below it, and in turn that power will travel to the hidden fan bus.

[​IMG]
    I gave up on the box idea and instead cut out a section under the dvd rom tray where the fan/light bus will be, then ill add one section of the box i made to it.

[​IMG]
    Like this, the sides are uncovered for the moment, and will be meshed, for ventillation as im not sure how warm the fanbus will get, but better to be safe than sorry later on.

[​IMG]
    An angle shot, so the fan/light bus will be sitting upside down inthat box, and ill have acces from the underside to plug everything in, the way i want it, also good for maintenance later on, also will cut a hole through the base plate for more access.
    All cables will end up at this junction.

I did end up making the box, because ive never bend metal, so it was a practice run, didnt come out too bad, theres some dings and bends in it.

[​IMG]
    All panels bent, just need to put it together.

[​IMG]
    Put together.

Back with more soon

Seth

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

not bad, nice and clean.

4. mandy_modded

mandy_modded Minimodder

Hi SM,

awesome work, results like this usually take expensive tools, looking forward to seeing the finished result. :thumb::rock:

the 4 pin pluggy thing is called a microphone socket (you might like to use a 3 pin mic socket for the power, just to avoid incorrect connection oatley electronics sell them 3 for $5 {part 2d0105}).

Last edited: 24 Sep 2007
  5. sethnmalice

@HourBeforeDawn, thnx :)

@mandy modded, thnx :), thnx for that, but the microphone sockets, have numbers, so soldering was made easier with that.

6. sethnmalice

Wire Management.
    It has begun...and its scarey!!!

Today I just wired up the fans, tomorrow I do the uinderside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I also wired up the Bulgin switches really badly, so its a 50% chance of success or failer when the time arrives.

[​IMG]

More tomorrow.

Seth

7. gar

gar Minimodder

If I missed when you talked about how you do the metal folding forgive me, but how do you do that? Have you developed your own way, or do you use a machine? What grade is your alu, and where do you get it from? This advice would really help first project. Great idea to get concepts and ideas down in prototype. It can save allot of heartache! I'm starting my project tongniht if I can!! I have been developing the design in my head for 8 months now. It's time I had something solid to work with!

8. sethnmalice

@gar, Metal Folding - elcheapo style...Well i disnt actually mention it, i figured just about everyones done it, in one form or another so i didnt bother with pic taking through the process. Basically i used a piece of L shaped alu, and clamped it to the edge of my workbench, so i could get a flat edge when i began bending and then clamed down my piece, lined it up, and slowly began tapping it with a rubber mallet, until it was flat. Thats basically it. I can take a pic at a later date to show u an example of it , if you like.

No idea what the grade of alu is, but its 1mm thick, and came pre-brushed, i bought it from a electronics shop 300mmx300mm, im in australia so its pointless saying where, but maybe you can check out your local electronics shop or alu manufacturer.

All these ideas you have been developing in your head, before you start on your project, draw them first, have a diagram that you can follow, that way you wont have as many mistakes, thats why i made the MDF box first, it was a massive template before going to alu, and it saved me a heap of money too, because i dont have a huge mindblowing budget, so in that aspect i saved alot of, what would have been wasted time and effort. So again i stress, draw and plan and take your time with your mod, things your not sure of, post and ask or search and read, and all your efforts will be worth it in the end., and good luck with your mod and ideas :)

9. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

Technically they're XLR connectors; but since they're most commonly used for microphones, many people just call them microphone jacks.

Agreed, best ure 4-pin XLR for power and 3-pin XLR for fans or vice-versa.

10. khanage0

khanage0 Minimodder

mann that wirings sweet:thumb:
    wanna do similar on mine but gonna use rca plugs caus of the limited space ive got to work with.
    keep it up dude

11. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

I also have some of the XLR-plugs, and found out that the 4-pin ones were really hard to plug in and to unplug. Do you have that some problem or do they work well?

12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

nice work so far on the wiring, ya it can be a real pain, Im still deciding if I want to go completely stealth with the wiring or clean it up so that you can still see it but its neat and clean that way but either way its a headache lol. Keep it up ^_^

13. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

I am so in love with this case its not even funny...

14. sethnmalice

@radodrill, agreed, but at the time i didnt know i could get 3 pin, awell, i now know i can so ill be using them in next mod, learn something new everyday :).

@khanage0, thnx :)

@brinkz0r, they seem ok, theres a bit of give in them, but once they're plugged, they'll be screwed in aswell, and never come out till the fan explodes :)

@HourBeforeDawn, thnx :), more than a real pain lol, and im still not finished, my case has a bit more realestate than yours, if you manage to stealth all those cables in the limited room you have, you'd definately achieve the almost impossible, but whatever you choose, it'll be a mind bending task at that. but good luck with it anyway :)

@Dean MF, you want one? lol :)

15. sethnmalice

Have been taking my time with the wiring, mostly because i dont have alot of confidence in that department, so patience and if i get pissed off with it, walking away from is a good thing, but the last few days the progression has been slow but consistant.

The cover for the controller that sits inbetween the DVD rom bay, was a bit high, so i chopped it down by half, now its not so in your face, and polished it up to a mirrir finish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pictures of the backyard alu bending machine lol, it does the job.

Then I moved onto the PSU 4 pin plugs, removed 2 of them and wired up the Microphone 4 pin Plug (Female), to two of them, one is to power the Fan/Light Controller, the other is to run the dual 30.5 cm red cathodes.

[​IMG]

This is the controller in it little hidey hole...
    [​IMG]

I wired up all 4 of the fans, the underside, which will eventually be covered by the Base plate, hiding all the cables from view.

[​IMG]
    2 fans wired...

[​IMG]
    4 fans wired, also added the mesh and used double sided tape to secure it to the chassis, now it wont move or cause any grief later on, and its neat and tidy, i still have the power and cathodes to add.
    [youll also see the the top left there are 3 x 4pin sockets (male) 1 for fan, 1 for power to unit and 1 for cathodes)]

[​IMG]
    Controller getting some activity now, youll also notice 6x2pin plugs, they are for the 6 red leds that will be installed later on (still wiring them up), these will be added to the front a rear combed pieces.

I also added some rubber edging stuff (my mind has gone blank as to what it is), but you know the stuff, and also the base panel has a section cut out, so i can easily get to the controller should i need to later.

More updates to follow :)
    Seth

16. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Very nice positioning for the controller.

I love this project.

17. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

good idea for cable hiding. :thumb:

18. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Nice cable managment the edge stuff is window molding.

19. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Wow that cabling is quite beautiful, i like to see cables but neatly in a case. useualy i don't like having them completely hidden, but this look really clean. What kind of psu is that?+ how many watts?

20. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

Yes please :D

LOL. Seriously dude, this case is awesome!!