1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage G. Skill 128 GB SSD in RAID 0

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shaile, 3 Dec 2008.

1. shaile

shaile Go BIG or GO HOME

I just read the review on the three SSDs that Harry wrote. It has once again peaked my interest in using SSD in my soon to be built system. I have gone back and forth on the idea of using 2 VelociRaptors in RAID 0 with a 1 TB drive for music, pictures, documents, ect. While I would love to pony up and get the Intel X25-M, I don't want to give that much for only 80 GB. I also don't want to have the stuttering that the G. Skill has with the J Micron controller. Would running two G. Skill 128 GB SSDs in RAID 0 get it to the performance level of the Intel or even beyond? This will be my first dive into RAID and SSDs, so I am not quite sure what to expect. I have done a fair amount of research, but if anyone else could either point me in more directions to look or shed some light on what I might expect, please let me know. At only $80 more for two of those over 2 VelociRaptors and $60 less than the Intel, it is something I am strongly considering if the performance would be there.

2. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

OCZ are releasing a new version of their SSD very shortly, a complete new bit of hardware apparently, the jmicron controller will be definitely gone, so it may be worthwhile to wait and see what it is like...
    ________
    Cheap Bongs

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011