1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning G5i

Discussion in 'Modding' started by 12modderz, 1 Jun 2012.

1. 12modderz

12modderz L33T еÐ3!

After having some recent interest in hackintosh computers, I am considering buying an old Power Mac G5 case, gutting it and installing modern components.

My main aim is to keep the case original, trying to avoid making any serious modifications.

I intend to use the following main components :-

Intel Celeron G530 or Pentium G620

From what I understand, these processors are about equivalent to the top-end Core 2 processors, so for DAWs etc it should be fine. Is it worth an extra tenner for a G620?

MSI H61I-E35 (B3) mini-ITX Motherboard

4GB DDR3 Dual Channel Memory

Regarding the PSU, as I have seen others gut the original insides and install a traditional ATX PSU. I intend to install the guts of a low-power (300w) FSP PSU into it and replace the original 60mm fans with quieter ones.

With the I/O panel on the back I wish to leave it unmodified and run the appropriate Ethernet and USB *extension* cables to them and glue them in place (or use some form of mounting method).I have a cheap USB sound card with OpticalIn/OpticalOut/LineOut/LineIn/Mic etc which I intend to gut and use for the ports on the I/O plate. I may just seal off the Firewire ports as it seems pointless spending money adding ports I am unlikely to need.

I have spare hard-drives and optical drives that I can use.

I am unsure as to what to do with VGA & HDMI ports as they would still be on the motherboard, at the moment modifying a PCI plate and running extension cables to them seems like a reasonable idea.

Thats what I have in my mind at current, well other than wondering if I could hide the motherboard behind the plastic G5 CPU cover..

Rant Over

Tim

2. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

That, would be awesome!