1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards GA-P55M-UD2, having problems w/ memory slots

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by NikoBellic, 24 May 2010.

1. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

When I try to use both the 1st and 3rd memory slots at the same time I find that the system just doesn't want to boot, and I continually hear a fan spinning up for a sec, then stopping and spinning up for a sec again ect...

but when I use the 1st or 3rd slots one at a time with the other dimm in the 2nd or 4th slot, things run fine

I would just use the 2nd and 4th slots, but I was planning to upgrade to 8GB of RAM soon...

I was wondering if anyone has ever come across this problem before and if so do you know of any fixes?

System config:
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 (F10 Bios - *Note* had the same problem on previous bios' too)
    Ram: OCZ Platinum 1333MHz 1.65v
    CPU: i5 750
    (Currently everything is clocked at default speeds - but using intels Turbo Boost)

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Go into the bios and set the memoryto run unganged and see if that helps or if it's set to unganged change it to ganged

3. olimorgan

olimorgan What's a Dremel?

Unless I'm reading it wrong on pg 16 of the manual it says if you wanna run 2 modules in dual channel you run them in DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 like your trying but with the slots labelled going away from the cpu | DDR3_2 | DDR3_1 | DDR3_4 | DDR3_3 |. Make sure your putting them in the right slots, they dont count as I'd expect them to

4. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

@Bulldog, I couldn't find ganged/unganged options...

@Olimorgan,

By 1,2,3 & 4 I meant in the order from the CPU (1 being closest, 4 being furthest from CPU), at the moment I am running them as you said,

But I am a little concerned that if I buy another two sticks of memory, then one stick may not work...

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Might be a dud slot, Try booting with just one stick and work your way through each of the slots, booting as you go, if one is dead you'll soon find it.

6. olimorgan

olimorgan What's a Dremel?

Could also be that you have to run two in the second and fourth slot like your doing now but when you get all 4 sticks it'll recognise all 4 are in use. Try what bulldog suggested though. If it works with 1 stick in all 4 slots i'd suspect it'd work fine when you put 4 sticks in.

7. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

I can use both of those slots and they both work but not whilst they're both in use at the same time.

But I booted the system again earlier with them in different slots I was using 'DDR3_2' & 'DDR3_3' (both the closest and furthest from the CPU) and it booted but I checked Windows 7's system screen (where you can see your systems base score and other details of your system) and it said, 'Installed Memory (RAM): 4GB (2GB Usable)' and I suspect that was due to me using the 'DDR3_2' slot because once I changed the memory stick over to 'DDR3_1' (the second slot closest to the CPU) it displayed it as '4GB', so I imagine that the motherboard likes you to use certain sockets depending on how many sticks of RAM you have, hence when I had both of them in the wrong slots it didn't boot...

(I struggled with this because I'm used to my older (AMD Based) Boards which enabled me to use any slots that I wanted to, although when I had two sticks I had to have them in two particular slots to work with dual channel mode... although as I say I could switch those sticks to any other slots and just use the single channel mode)