1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards GA-P55M-UD2 SATA port

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LDJ, 27 Oct 2010.

1. LDJ

LDJ What's a Dremel?

I just bought a GA-P55M-UD2 Motherboard and on there are six SATA ports. Four are blue, two are white.
    Can anyone tell me the difference between the two? I did RTFM but it doesn't specify which is the better option and why you should/shouldn't use one or the other?

I notice in todays Lifehacker Hackintosh guide, they have the same SATA config (albeit on a different mobo) and explicity state NOT to use the white ones, but do not say why.
    Can anyone advise on this please?

Thanks

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

they are different controllers 4 will be controlled by intel P55 chispet the other 2 will most likely be marvell chip or some other manufactuer that gigabyte have added.

3. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Intel® P55 Express Chipset: (BLUE ONES)

1. 5 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_0, SATA2_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4) supporting up to 5 SATA 3Gb/s devices
    2. 1 x eSATA 3Gb/s connector on the back panel supporting up to 1 SATA 3Gb/s device
    3. Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10

GIGABYTE SATA2 chip: (WHITE ONES)

1. 1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices
    2. 2 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (GSATA2_0, GSATA2_1) supporting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices
    3. Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, and JBOD

I use the blue ones due to my raid and by bit-tech's review the white ones are slightly lower in performance.

4. LDJ

LDJ What's a Dremel?

Fantastic. Thanks guys. I played safe and did half white, half blue, but I'll switch them all to blue now :D

5. LDJ

LDJ What's a Dremel?

Another question, the case (Xigmatek UTGARD) comes with two eSata ports built into the chasis. Internally there are two normal SATA cables coming from these. Do I connect these into the blue/white sata headers on the mobo or are there dedicated headers for these? Also, having never used them, how are eSata devices powered? Can they draw sufficient power from the port itself, or do they usually require a mains connection too?

6. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

Ones mounted on the front of the case usually just plug straight into any spare sata port on the motherboard. I think most e-sata devices need external power and I'm pretty sure they will if ran from front panel ports connected directly to internal headers.