1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Gamecube LCD

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DeeTee, 3 Jun 2003.

1. DeeTee

DeeTee What's a Dremel?

I was wondering if anyone had tried to mod a Gamecube LCD monitor into a computer, and if it is usable as such?

2. fatal_error

fatal_error What's a Dremel?

it is very workable if u get the right screen ie make sure it supports composite input and not RGB as most graphics cards only output composite or s-video. this valuable gem of information i found out after i had ordered one :waah: but i sent it back claiming it didnt work and got a refund:hehe:

3. Drastik

Drastik Minimodder

you thief

4. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

I've done exactly this, and it worked a treat :)

Taking the screen out of the casing, and removing the bits you don't need is the hardest part :)

I lopped off the ciggie adapter and fitted a molex, cut out the fan from the screen, pulled out the speakers and then stuck it in the case.

Only takes an hour or two to do.

5. DeeTee

DeeTee What's a Dremel?

So the screen runs off regular voltage? Is there any possibility of using the speakers too? Dont mind using the whole thing really, just going to fit it on my server, so i can have console output from Linux on it

6. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

If the screen is a portable one designed for use in a car, then it will quite happily run with the 12v from the PC. As I said, just replace the lighter adapter with a molex and you're sorted.

Yeah you can use the speakers. My screen had a yellow, red, and white connector on the back.

The yellow is for video, and the red and white are for audio. You can use a cable that would connect to set of normal desktop speakers to hook them up to your sound card.

I'm not using the speakers which is why I disconnected them. I would imagine the sound quality isn't that great, as they're fairly small, but it would be more than adequte for systems sounds, or maybe the occaisional bit of music.