Hardware Gaming Monitor Roundup 2014

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 21 Jul 2014.

1. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

U2412M: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

U2414H: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm

2. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Er - well, yes, if the graphics card is outputting frames at a constant rate that's lower than the scan rate on the display. But that's not typically what happens - usually, the rate at which the graphics card renders frames varies with the complexity of the scene.

High refresh rate monitors may help the monitor display something closer to what the graphics card is rendering in terms of frame rate and that's no bad thing, but to assume that everything gets quantised to an integer division of the display's frame rate is inaccurate. I have recorded the output of graphics cards and examined the results; I know this to be true.

P

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Just read through this, glad to see it.

Really is tempting me to finally make the jump to a 120hz+ monitor with that iiyama (the Eizo is a little too rich for me at the moment :p)

4. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

I have an AOC 29" ultra wide. Got it earlier this year, it is really amazing. I previously had an Apple Cinema Display and also used various DELL and NEC monitors but they all had something wrong with them that made me not want them. This AOC ticked enough boxes to make me buy it, and there was a great deal for it on Amazon so I went for it.

I love it, the only issue is with gaming, the huge resolution needs a really good graphics card unless you are happy to lower lots of settings. I just lower setting for now because I'm not spending £350 - £550 on a graphics card until the new generation comes along.

5. Wazza

Wazza What's a Dremel?

I have the exact same monitor. Luckily for me the picture is as good as the day I bought it!!

I was wondering as I've never seen any screen tearing, is G-Sync really that necessary on a modern monitor?

6. brooksy

brooksy What's a Dremel?

I will be in the market for a new monitor soon I am tempted to go 4k I have a r9 290x but I think it will still struggle. Its just a pain there are no good PC shops to back to back compare monitors!

7. captain caveman

captain caveman life is pain

Looking forward to the release of the Asus ROG monitor with g sync, the spec looks interesting

8. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Yeah I'm suprised to see this round up when the Asus ROG Swift PG278Q is coming out next week. Seems the most significant gaming monitor of the year IMO.

Hope Bit-Tech do a review, some sites already have.

9. JohnRogers24

JohnRogers24 What's a Dremel?

No Dell IPS? Poor form.

10. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Only one monitor with resolution over 1080p? I was hoping to see at least 3 or 4 with 1600p or better, as that's what I'll be in the market for later this year. I'm surprised that 1080p is still the norm for enthusiasts, there's just not enough screen real estate for me :)

What I'll be looking for is something that goes up to 2560x1600, preferably at much better than 60 Hz, and can be rotated to view in portrait mode.

11. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Registering my surprise, too, that Dell IPS and IPS generally has been given a brush-off by the gaming core. I've been gaming on IPS Dell screens for years and never struggled. Only really intense twitchy gameplay would suffer, I'd have thought.

I guess it comes down to whether you use your PC for movies and entertainment or not, though - most of us have TVs that have supplanted that need.

12. Sgt.Bilko

Sgt.Bilko What's a Dremel?

I have no idea what your conclusion means. What are you trying to say at the end of it?

13. jimbok11

jimbok11 What's a Dremel?

Nice roundup

Tags: Add Tags