1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Gaming on 3G mobile broadband

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by shigllgetcha, 21 Jun 2010.

1. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

you proabably rolled your eyes when you saw the title.

moved in Feb and couldnt get landline broadband apparently my local server was full. has anyone had sucess with gaming on 3g broadband. ive played cod MW2 for abit and went okay most of the time(but i think it has a lot of lag compensation and what not)

im with vodafone which are okay and actually improved recently (not much use for gaming) but three do faster speeds in my area or so im told and was thinking of moving when my contract is nearly up. (im in ireland so personal experience with different providers isnt much use to me really)

does anyone have acceptable lag on 3G or is all 3G pointless when it comes to gaming?

the house im in has a physical phone line but its not connected and id have to sign up with a company that I dont want to sign up with to get it connected and then move in 6/12 months move contracts to a different provider and its just not worth it. the other company is too pricey

didnt think id miss multi player as much as i do

2. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

I had to rely on 3G recently when my phoneline went down during an ISP switch.

Put it this way I didn't even bother trying to game. Even within half a kilometre of a mast, my signal was on one bar and I was getting about 30k/s downstream. There seemed to be no point even pulling he dongle out of my laptop and slotting it into my PC.

If you get a really good 3G signal it might be worth it. Here you could barely browse the internet, and the network was constantly saturated with anti-viruses and windows attempting to update. Small updates too.

For an idea of how it fared with steam - it took four attempts to run the initial steam update before it stopped breaking the connection and stalling on about 45-60%.

Better get a landline and get onto an LLU. You can always move your contracts when you move.

Also I can't say I've ever heard of an exchange being so oversubscribed that they refuse to take your money - what exchange are you on and what provider were you trying for?

3. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Regardless of how many bars of signal I have, whenever I've tether my phone the latency is always horrible. I wouldn't even bother try gaming.

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Last time I checked I couldn't even play on my WLAN. I'd just forget about it. Maybe it depends slightly on the location, devices and luck, but I'd be very surprised if 3G could ever be used for proper FPS experience.

5. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

its ireland so there is basically only one option in my case. other companies back in feb when i looked only did switchovers, they dont do setups so you have to get eircom to connect you up which is a minimum 6/12 month contract and at their prices It wouldnt be worth it. im only interested in broadband no telephone and they dont do just broadband so its too expensive

my connection is okay some days i get around 140/150kb/s download (3or4 out of 5 bars) and good upload but the lag is the killer

i found this strange myself but were in a rural-ish area so go figure

Last edited: 21 Jun 2010