Geforce 4 ti4400 oc'ing help/advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rovman, 7 Feb 2004.

1. Rovman

Rovman What's a Dremel?

Well, i just decided to OC my graphics card (yep i know its lame, but its all i have for now) and well, all seems to be going good so far.

The card is a geforce 4 ti4400 (its a creative labs card) and is using its stock cooler. I havent modified anythign on the card.

At stock speeds the card runs at 275/550. I am wondering how many mhz the "average" graphics card overclock would get. This is the first time i have tried overclocking anything, and i dont want to take it too far :) but i still want as much out of it as possible.

I have currently got it set at 305/610 and it made it through Aquamark3 no problems. During the benchmark i didnt notice anything strange either.

How do you know when you have taken it too far (obviously before it gets to the stage of being unusable :p). Do you think i should be ok to keep upping it still?

I have been upping it in 5mhz increments for the clock speed, and doubleing it for the ram.

I have also been benchmarking in between each stage. Heres how my scores are doing so far (my system is lame, i know)

280/560 - 16,624
    285/570 - 16,830
    290/580 - 17,146
    295/590 - 17,441
    300/600 - 17,606
    305/610 - 17,646

I noticed how the last increment in clock speed didnt have the same jump in Aquamark score too...

Well if anyone can help it will be much appreciated ;)

Edit: Well i decided to continue increasing it but didnt get far. 310/620 ran the full test and i didnt notice any graphical defects or anything and it made a score of 17,958. So then i went for 315/630. It didnt manage to complete the test. The screen "messed up" and the fps and frame counter in the top corner start flickering and vanishing completely.

Will i be ok leaving it on 310/620 and then lower it even more if anything begins to go wrong, or should i play it safe and lower it some more?

Last edited: 7 Feb 2004
  2. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

That's what I do, if I see artifacts then I lower my clock speeds. You can get utilities like Atitool (name would suggest it's only for ATi cards ;) that will attempt to find your maximum overclock, but I find that they err on the extreme side of caution, Atitool tells me my mem clocks should be 20MHz lower but I ignore it and just keep my card at a speed that looks good to me. It's all subjective.