1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Geforce4 *NNEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!*

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bradford010, 25 Dec 2001.

1. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

Not out in time for Christmas :( but worth checking out. x-bit labs The company my mate works at just got in the new GF3 128MB cards. Says they ROCK! And these will be miles better!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

i wouldnt think so. Its like a friggin 4 month product line now. The cards have barely began to gather dust and they are pulled off the shelves again. Its rediculous, especially for those whove just speny 2/3/£400 on a new ti GF3! For what new performance gains?? A few more fps, a better 3dmark score and new features that games designers wont integrate into games at least for another year. They still havent fully used pixel shaders to new geforce 3 features to the full!!

nvidia will launch themselves into an early grave cause nothin will be avaliable to take advantage of the "great new faster features". I mean agp 8x isnt out until the summer (at best! 2Q of 2002 intel said, but..) so you wont be able to use the Ti 1000 fully until the summer (and youll need a new mobo) and you wont really see the new features implemented in games for another 6 months/year later.

Dont get me wrong - they make **** hot cards, but they are too concerned in power power power, speed speed speed and not with consumer needs, the competitions price, and product life spans.

3. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

Power,power,power speed,speed,speed? What's wrong with that? Hehe! I am hard core graphics Geek, and don't mind admitting I'll buy something because of the RAW power I can get in apps over games.
    Even though games are nice and I never do any work anyway :rofl:
    Besides I'm really interested in how these cards can be hacked up. Quadro 3 at half price anyone? My GF2 Ti could outperform a GF3 or even the DCC in top graphics apps (ie NOT MAX).

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

power power power speed speed speed mebbe, but u cant use it in anything cause youve got no software (or only 3dmark 2002) to play it on!!

5. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Ermmm hello?!?!? all because they have a 6 month product line doesn’t mean you have to buy one every 6 months. Nvidia push the technology boundaries i.e. agp 8x yes no mobos support it yet but when they do you will have a gfx card that supports it. If it was left up to other companies you wouldn’t see a agp 8x gfx card until a year after you see it on motherboards.

And yes they are concerned with consumer needs why do you think they do drivers that still support the TNT2, Geforce, Geforce 2 and Geforce 3. If you want to talk about a company that is not concerned with consumer needs its ATI with their nasty driver support.

6. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

Of course the reason isn't that you NEED a GF4. NVidia know that there's a market for it because it is the hottest thing since sliced GF3s.

Of course, the real reason is that it will be another nail in ATi's coffin. Radeon 8500 just about manages to compete with GF3 Ti500, and needs time for driver development, etc, by which time NVidia have moved the game on with their next set of core logic. This is the simple, usual trick that NVidia pull, and it's quite incredible that ATi fell for it. How much imagination do you REALLY think it needs to come up with the GF3 Ti product line from GF3? In other words, NVidia have been working on GF4 since GF3 was released, and just upped the clock speeds for Ti500 to keep it fresh. This has happened before...

TNT 2 was the first time that NVidia started to be taken seriously in the 3d market (the original Riva 128 was pretty dismal, as was Riva ZX. TNT wasn't outrageously quick either), and that was just a die shrink and increased clock speeds over TNT. TNT 2 Ultra was again, just an increase in clock rates, and matrox's G400 and 3dfx's Voodoo 3 came along with TNT 2, designed to try to match the features of TNT. That was a close scrap, topped by TNT2 Ultra and by G400 MAX. Then along came Geforce, and no one could compete, because their new products weren't ready, NVidia having been working on GeForce since TNT was released. Then started to appear some products which tried to take the fight to Geforce, eg Voodoo 5. So Nvidia released Geforce 2, and again took the market by storm.

So, why be surprised? NVidia's 6 month cycle isn't actually. It's a 1 year cycle, with the second set of products being a tune-up of the first, as GF2 was to GF1, and GF3 Ti was to GF3. NVidia are also very quick about moving their basic cards on. This time last year, we were still seeing a lot of TNT2 M64 cards in very basic machines, but that role is now taken by GF2 MX100/MX200. Soon the role taken by GF2 MX400 will be replaced by the low-end GF4MX cards. And so on.

Question is....Is GF4 Ti1000 REALLY necessary? I mean...My GF3 Ti200 can handle a LOT of stuff I throw at it, including the latest games (eg RTCW), which are running just fine in 1280x1024, etc...most people's monitors can't run higher than that, so there comes a point where no more GPU power can be needed, and I think it is approaching.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

/me hits head against desk several times.

That's my point.. there's no need for such a rigourously fast product line because the software cant keep up and there's no use for it, there's no use for half the radeon feautres too!?

And what amazes me is that people with GF3s will go out and buy GF4s simply cause they are bought over by all the advertising and the prospect of a faster card that isnt even noticable (only 3dmark scores are better).

Indeed i think its great nvidia have kept the same architecture for all their cards so the drivers remain the same and they are market leaders in the field where Ati need to get off their fat asses and work on some decent optimised drivers. However nvidia are in the business of making money so what do i/u expect!? :)

8. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Hay if people are retarded enough to buy a new gfx card just for 3dmark who can blame Nvidia ;)

9. ChriX

ChriX ^

Ill be getting a GF4 ( well I hope I do, but I actually doubt it very much ) to follow in my every other number geforce collection...

I have a GF2 Pro @ 250/470 and I n€€d an upgrade :p

:D

10. RTT

RTT #parp

my thoughts entirely mate!

11. [GiB] Spawny

[GiB] Spawny Xqpack Lovin

Be cool

For what its worth.

You don't need to get caught up in the latest and greatist all the time. for the last year or two I have been a card or two behind the times and have never been hindered by that fact. Its only one part of your system and one that will be better supported then not, as drivers improve.

I have to run two machines now and maybe another one as time goes on. All these machines take advantage of my "old!" cast aways and our often used by my freinds when they pop round. The comments I get is what you runnning here as its sweet as. When I tell them they compare with theres they are amazed.

Its a bit like buying a new car, you loose so much value, is it ever worth buying one? Graphics cards are the same as you buy a new one there is always a newer and improved model. It then de values your old one to little more than fluff in your pocket.

I stick to buying a card 1 every 12-18 months that way the bed for this hardaware can also be upgraded in that time frame.

Very exspensive hobby PC's but only if you let it.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Re: Be cool

Yea same here. I went from a 4meg PCI + 4meg Voodoo 1 then 2 yrs later i bought a Geforce sdr when they first came out, then 18months later ive just bought a rad 8500 :)
    Its too hard to keep up every 6 months.

13. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

14. [GiB] Spawny

[GiB] Spawny Xqpack Lovin

Your whicked Spike :rofl:

Just when we were settled you go post that?

Nice one :D

15. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

hehe ... its been on there a while now ... the price aint bad either :)

Tags: