1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking get most outof older CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mbvg, 4 Nov 2009.

1. mbvg

mbvg e5300 all the way

hi

I am thinking to overclock my recently built desktop pc. But have never overclocked before.can anyone help me by telling me how far i can overclock my intel dual core e5300 (stock speed 2.6ghz) with stock cooler.but also with an aftermarket cooler as i am thinking of getting one but also don't know which one to get/ is best for dual core cpu's.

CPU- Intel dual core e5300 (2.6ghz Stock speed)
    motherboard - asus p5ql/epu
    case- cooler master elite 330 (only 1 fan at front but with mount at back for another)
    memory- 2gb 800ghz
    OS- windows 7 rc (will be full version when released)

thanks.

2. marsey99

marsey99 if i cant fix it with my hammer....

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=149050

is the best place to start m8, as for cooling, well there are lots of good ones and it all depends upon what you can fit in your case and how much you want to spend.

i have an ifx-14 buts very big and cost abit but imo it was worth it, my q9550 maxes out @55c running 4.25ghz so im happy.

3. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

Hey

I've got a really old Core2Duo E6300 (1.86ghz). Think it was pretty much the cheapest core2 when they first launched (yes I'm a cheap *******). And i've been amazed a what I can get out of the old girl.

I managed to get it to 2.15ghz on the standard intel fan and with no voltage adjustments.

I then bought an Artic Cooling freezer 7(cheap as chips and very quiet) and a tube of artic silver and I've been able to get it running at 2.82ghz with no issues. I had to up the CPU and Northbridge voltage to get it running stable. It's been like that for almost 8 months with no issues whatsoever.

+1 to the link above. Thats where I started for guidance :)