1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Getting out of a mobile phone contract? Anyone done it?

Discussion in 'General' started by mookboy, 15 Mar 2009.

1. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

In short I swapped from Orange to 3, to get a N95 8GB for nowt. However I have gone from a rock solid service, to a service where 1 in 3 calls are cut off either mid call or when I answer. I frequently have no network coverage. I am constantly missing calls as incoming calls often go straight to the answer phone even when I do have coverage. I know 3 piggyback on other networks, but this is ridiculous.

Do I have a case for asking to cancel my contract? I am so pissed off with it that I want to throw my phone against the wall sometimes. I've been with them for approx 9 months with another 9months to go.

Anyone done this sort of thing before?

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I've only ever seen people successfully get out of a contract due to a change in T&C (like when they changed the fees for specific call types). You can write a letter of complaint to them (recorded delivery obviously) but you'll need to expect to not have an easy ride. As always if you make a call write down who you spoke to and when.

3. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

You might have a case if you can proove that the service your getting isnt the service you thought you'd be paying for, But its going to be far from easy.

My fiance tried to get out of a vodafone contract a while back, tbh it wasnt worth the hastle and she ended up downgrading her contract instead, you can only go up or own 1 level a month, But now shes paying the cheapest rate, just untill the contracts finished.

Not an ideal solution but if you cant get out of it at least it saves you some pennies, and the possibility of getting another contract at the same time with someone else.

4. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Mookboy you do have a case, my friend recently got out of a 3 contract for the same issues you are having, even trying to have a conversation with the tech staff involved his connection dropping several times, they kept having to ring them back.

Basically you are paying for a phone service, which you are not correctly receiving or cannot use due to the issues you have mentioned.

It was the same with a friend, it kept jumping to orange networks and then the packets would disappear....or thats what the tech guy said ( somehow they managed to test this).

If you PM me i can get you some details of what my friend did for you?

5. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

if you pretend to move to an area where the company does not offer service you can usually get your contract cancelled. i'm not quite sure how you would prove to the phone company that you have moved when you haven't, but i've heard of people doing it.

6. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Surely they can figure it out from the phone location? Don't they have means and ways of working it out?

I'm keeping a log of my disconnects and no signal. Took almost 40mins this morning to get a signal.

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

If the problems are at your home address you can go to the store where you bought it and ask to cancel the contract on poor signal grounds. It is about the only way you can.

8. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

QFT.

9. Matticus

Matticus ...

I got out of a virgin contract like that, they use T mobile for their network, so could probably work for them too in my area.

She said the outdoor signal is great, but indoor is really bad. As I couldn't use my mobile in my own home I could end the contract, they even offered me a few different phones to try out to see if the signal improved.

Also I am sure that they can record cut offs that are due to them rather than you or your phone.
    I know that orange give you an extra minute if you get cut off because of them, and I was in a rubbish signal area for a day and had a few cut offs and 4 bonus minutes were added to my next months contract. So they must have some way of knowing it was them that messed you up.

10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I know that is the only way to cancel a 'Three' contract as I has a 4 month complaint battle with their Head Office Customer Services Department about it!