1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Getting Random Network Drops on Server

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by talladega, 22 Jan 2013.

1. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I've been setting up my RaspberryPi to be a music player with SqueezePlug.
    It works great, but when streaming music from my WHS 2011 server, the music was cutting out for a few seconds up to a minute at times. Sometimes not for a while and sometimes more often.

I had the raspberryPi on wifi, so I tried it wired and it still did it. I also noticed that on my desktop pc, when the music was cutting out on the raspberry pi, that I could not access the shared files on the server. So it wasn't just affecting the raspberry pi.

To test further I opened up command prompt and did an endless ping from my desktop to the server. During that I played music and waited for it to drop out, to see if the ping would have some losses. No packet losses it seems. Yet I could not access the file shares.

What can I do to further test this? Everything else is working perfect except this, which causes a pretty big problem.

I copied some of my music from the server to my desktop and have been streaming to my raspberry pi for the whole evening with no drop outs. This time via wifi, so I know its not the Raspberry Pi doing it.

Is there any more troubleshooting I can try or some kind of logs I'll be able to look at to see the problem?

Thanks

2. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

A few things spring to mind, could be AV software? maybe worth excluding network drives/folders. Also try turning off TCP off loading on the network adapter properties. Also worth trying to disable any power saving features the network adapter may have. Im sure other's here will have better idea's but hopefully that will get you started :sigh:

talladega likes this.
  3. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I did get it working, messing around with it for a few days. I disabled Master Browser on all devices except my server. I also reinstalled the music player on the raspberry pi and changed a buffer setting on it. I rebooted all machines a few times and now I can have it playing for 24+ hours non stop perfectly.

Now it's time to save money to build a complete sound setup with it!

4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Glad to hear you got it sorted:thumb: I saw that you had over 400 views and not one reply:waah: