1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gigabyte iRAM: no new products, no DDR2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-16, 7 Mar 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I made a new thread because I don't know how many people want to know about it - several of you asked in the news about a DDR2 iRAM so I went back and asked Gigabyte and one of the product managers said there was no plan to do anymore.

The sales of the original were very low, the margins are too tight and with flash drives increasing in popularity the demand was falling. In addition the cost of development is far too high and too few applications can be applied to it - no one from OEM needs it for example to "subsidise" the consumer version.

2. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

That's too bad, the biggest thing holding back the original was the lack of space. If they made a ddr2 version that could take 8 gb; well i could install windows/linux on that no problems and it would be quieter plus a bit faster.

3. wywywywy

wywywywy Minimodder

Too bad :(

I always liked it, just that the original was too expensive (£200+ inc memory).
    Thought a DDR2 version would lower the TOC. But now they've killed it... sigh...

4. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

What a bugger.

I'll try and find some of the ones that are still available and RAID them then.

5. Autobot

Autobot What's a Dremel?

With all the SSD drives comming out, the iRAM will become obsolete. That is why Gigabyte has purdy much given up on future iRAM updates. While SSD drives are expensive now, given about 1 year and they will be as large as regular HDDs (capacity wise) and will cost about the same.

6. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

@autobot, SSD barely outperforms a hard disk. ramdisks can saturate an SATA300 bus. one doesn't really replace the other.

7. rodeo45

rodeo45 Who's your daddy ???

plus SSD are so expensive taht no point buying it now - the lastest can perfrom above 100/1200MB/s speed, which is pretty good,but still - wallet killers;)

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Thats a shame with ddr2 being basicly free i though this would be an excellent time for it, although the device was still fairly expensive wasn't it?