1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google engineer dismissed for spying

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by julieb, 15 Sep 2010.

1. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

How is that alarming? That's like saying that IT has access to your emails.. Well duh...
    There will be bad apples anywhere, just sic the lawyers/police on them.

2. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Hmm... Why not run encrypted data from host (gmail account) to server? Really, if its suppose to be private then this should not be a problem with implementing. *shrugs* I see problems yes, but google has resources it could throw at this to make every account quite literally impossible to access unless your logged in with password.

3. quake1-rules

quake1-rules What's a Dremel?

Not shocked. Engineers often need access to the data to do their job. Just know what information you are surrendering to Google when you use their services. Life is full of risks. Use adblock to block google-analytics so Google can't track your web surfing habits. Don't use Gmail if you don't want to expose yourself to the risk. The Internet is the embodiment of "with freedom comes responsibility" - just know that.

4. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

That my friend will lead to the dreaded words of "Nope I can't reset your password. there's nothing I can do."

And anyway, the emails are not private, at least not to their servers. Remember the whole email scanning for adverts thingy a few years back? Can't go out and tear up their own meal ticket can they...

5. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I am sorry but Google has used a very bad program model that allows them to read peoples accounts.
    Simply put if they used common encryption models there would be no way for them to access your account. Without your password and even then there are models where there is no way for then to know your password even though they store the data.

It is all just very bad programming!!

btw the e-mail scanning can still be done without the programmers having access to your accounts.

Tags: Add Tags