1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors GOOster Tunes

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 19 Aug 2011.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I'm in the process of rigging the Gooster for sound.

I have purchased a second hand Autocom motorcycle intercom system, which I will be fitting after I've modified some Peltor headsets to accomodate the headphones and boom mikes from the Autocom set. Added to this is a bluetooth module, which plugs into one of the aux ports on the Autocom, and allows A2DP streaming of music to through the intercom, along with auto answer of any phone that's paired with it after three rings.

This will allow me to answer the phone on the go, and play stuff from my iPhone playlists. So far, so good.

What I'd also like is a portable DAB radio, that I can use with the intercom as well. I'd like portable, as I don't want any visible indication that there's any modern kit in the car at all. The intercom boxes will be hidden away behind the dash, and the headset jacks will be attached to the back of the dash, so when the headsets are not in use they can be un plugged and stored in the boot.

Now, to save on having to plug the DAB in to the system physically, it'd be great if it could stream over A2DP.

Does anyone know of any small, portable DAB units that have bluetooth in them? I'm drawing a blank on google, but some of you clever clogs might know better on if they exist, or what to be searching on.

TIA

GOO

2. GreatOldOne

Just an update - it really doesn't need to have BT now... Anything that can be charged via 12v cigar lighter, 5V USB and has a stereo out on it would work as I could plug it in via the secondary aux port now I have it on a fly lead to the back of the dash.

Ta

GOO

3. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Something liek this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/PURE-Highway-Car-Radio-Transmitter/dp/tech-data/B0012GLXMU/ref=de_a_smtd

Not quite sure how you'd control it, though. You have to be able to tune stations, adjust volume and power on/off somehow. Without a visible interface in the car that can be difficult. But all kind of radios will have that problem.

edit: a cheaper version: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clarity-DAB-Radio-Adaptor-C-DAB7/dp/B002K0MNFI

The first one seems to have a FM transmitter for it to work with existing car stereo. The latter seems to have only a headphone output.

GreatOldOne likes this.
  4. GreatOldOne

Either would do. Thanks Smilodon! :thumb:

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I can definitely recommend the PURE Highway - I have one in my car. The only downside is that they really need a proper antenna to work (the one included in the box is utter crap) - I use one of these, although YMMV with being mounted relatively low down.

It has an 3.5mm stereo jack which I feed straight into the AUX in of my headunit, and it works perfectly.

6. GreatOldOne

Thanks Fibble - I just bought one on the way home, but I'll be taking it back. There's a major flaw in my cunning plan - I can't adjust the volume of the intercom - it's a two set levels for speech, and whatever volume gets chucked at it from connected devices.

So when I plug the Pure in, It's so loud it's not funny - and there's no way of controlling the line out level on it. Unless I put batteries in it, and run it in 'hand held' mode.... But if I have to do that, I may as well save some cash and get a dedicated hand held one, considering they're half the price of the Highway.

Bah. It seemed to be just the job as well. I bet I can't get a small USB powered DAB radio... :(

7. GreatOldOne

Just back from exchanging the highway for a pure pocket DAB 1500. Its rechargeable, and whilst it's not got a USB port on it, it is 5v power - so I cam just make up a USB to 2.5mm charging jack and plug it into my USB power outlet that's in Vikki's 12v outlet

Very impressed with the quality - picked up loads of stations via the headphone jack to aux in cable acting as its ariel, all wilst sat in the garage.

Controls couldn't be easier - jog left / right on the control pad for the station presets, up and down for the volume.

Very happy :)