1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gore Verbinski making BioShock movie

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 May 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

If they pull off the retro themes and a real story it could be worth watching

3. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

keep ken onboard, and keep that opening scene. Best part of the game, and cinematic enough for a direct copy to the screen

4. naokaji

naokaji whatever

a bioshock movie? why not, I think its possible to create a good movie based on it, but portal? no thx, yes, portal was a good game, but I dont really see the potential for a movie.

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Well, as long as the movie is more Pirates 1 and less Pirates 2/3, then I'm all for it - as long as Ken Levine & 2K retains creative rights with the option to pull the plug if it looks like it's going to turn into a huge steaming pile of dog crap.

6. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

god a portal movie sounds absolutely awful

7. donnie

donnie Moddin' my way out of a paper bag

game to movies always leave me a bit unnerved as on one hand i'm hoping for something as good as the original game yet evolved and i don't think i've ever really found it, so i watch these game-to-movies and hope
    but i doubt it will work out well.

8. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Portal? Hmmm - could end up a bit like a 1-girl Cube.

I'd much rather see a Half-Life Movie - Ed Norton as Gordon Freeman. It could turn into an Alien Frag-fest though, which is boring. Maybe better to start on HL2 and skim the Back story in the Narrative?

9. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

Damn splicers! it has the potential to be an incredibly dark and atmospheric film - i'd be interested to know if its gonna be a straight game to film plot, or if it will be a whole new story within the bioshock "world". I'd imagine the latter, but who knows.

10. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

Thats what I was thinking.... don't think it would work

11. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

i can see potential with portal. I see more of a Castaway style film. One girl who never speaks, and we develop affections for a comfort cube (as opposed to Wilson the ball, who deserves an oscar for his performance...I cried when he got washed away...)

anyway, it would take a very delicate director and it would be a very hard job, but could have potential. It has to be as quirky as the game is and i guess that means hollywood will make a mess of it and we'll end up with a D rate movie to cash in where

I think sigourney weaver (who would do well in this i think) runs around with a portal gun and comfort cube fighting off a machine with a twisted sense of humour would be quite good. It has potential, but I'm certain hollywood would make a hash of it.

As for Bioschlock, go for it. make it, that has more obvious potential and with the premise there, could be better than the game. we can explore the emotions of the characters better and the black and white of the game can have real shades of grey in the film. (think sympathy for mr vengance style)

12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Yay, no Uwe.

13. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Hopefully it will be better than the game (don't hate me!)

14. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

How are they going to install Securom in the theatres?

15. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Hey thats a thought, will the Securicom protection mean that you can only watch the film so many times and then you can see it anymore? I guess that will hit the multiple cinema visits and DVD sales.

16. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

Well considering BioShock was more like watching a movie than playing a game. Sure, why not.....

17. Rum&Coke

Rum&Coke What's a Dremel?

As if this will avoid the film being terrible. Pirates of the Carribean is a war-crime upon movie goers, not counting the most engaging thing about Bioshock is the visuals which can only be ****ed up on a big screen. Ryan will become a Commie, the entire population will be cured at the end and some random love interest plot will be tacked on.

18. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I think a movie based off of a game has a much better chance of doing well than a game based off of a movie. I still have yet to pick up Bioshock, only because of my backlog of games that I purchased that I have yet to play. I do look forward to playing it eventually... definitely before any movie based on it comes out.

19. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Oh god not the random love interest! Please!

20. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I thought PotC was actually pretty good, it was certainly expected to be a real stinker considering the source material - I mean how it got passed the pitch stage I simply don't know. Can you imagine it? "Well we want to make a film about this Disney ride that's about zombie pirates, any chance of a couple of hundred million bucks?", and they said yes!
    I thought it turned out pretty well but most of that was down to Johnny Depp's performance, that role could have gone soooooo badly wrong but he produced a masterpiece of character acting in my opinion. Its just such a shame that PotC 2&3 were so poor in comparison, I guess it was a case of going to the well just too many times.

With regards to the Bioshock film, I don't doubt that there will have to be some changes, film narrative requires a differnt approach from a book, a comic or a game but I reckon part of the secret is to retain what makes the source material good and crafting it into the film process. Like I said before Verbinski pulled a special trick out of the bag with PotC but he didn't do it on his own so at present we have one piece of the puzzle in place, the end result will depend on the rest of the team and whether or not they can take their collective talent and do something with it. Personally I'll wait until I've seen it rather that simply condem it out of hand.

Now with regards to Portal, that's one that I can't see how you can make a film out of that. As far as I was concerned the main point of the game was how you personally figured out how to tackle each of the puzzles and how successfully you carried out your solution. If you're sitting watching someone else do it I don't think its going to have much of an appeal as it would simply be like watching someone else playing the game.

Tags: Add Tags