1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice GPU won't fit into slot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cyndre, 20 Jun 2011.

1. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

So I finally have all my pc together and it is proving an instant nightmare. I cannot get the GPU's in to the PCI back plate protectors slot. It seems to ride too high and won't push fully down.

I had the case professionally powder coated and I think the problem may be that the slot protectors were screwed in when it was done. I had to smash then plates out with the back of some pliers as they were firmly attached.

However with them all out I just can't get the back plate of my GPU's to press in. Any advice or am I going to have to just cut off part of the back plate?

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Are you sure you're using the right standoffs for the motherboard?

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Never heard of this one before. Can you take a piccy?

4. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

how much powdercoat did they use ??
    how much extra space is needed. sure your gpu backplate isnt on your mobo instead of passing it ?
    did you use the brass mobo stand-offs ?? as they provide extra distance between mobo and backplate of case. they also prevent the mobo from shorting out

5. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

i type way to slow was here before both of you
    monday effect

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Agreed, it does sound a bit odd to me as well.

7. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

yup will take a pic in just a sec, I used the standoffs that came with the tj07 case as the Maximus IV didn't seem to have any in the box.

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Does it (the GPU) not fit into the motherboard tray at all the slot at the base of the PCI bracket)?

9. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

*RMA mode : ON*

Did you removed the GPU from its box before plugging it ? :lol::blush::lol:

*RMA mode : OFF*

10. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

Yeah that pretty much seems to be the problem, attached some pics (afraid my hands are not so steady).

http://s803.photobucket.com/albums/yy319/kathrynncain/Ross/

Also frustrating is the bitspower d-plug I bought fits into the cover side thread but not the back plate thread rednering it useless.

11. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

it's either got to be catching on the case or the mobo... tends to happen with small 1x cards in poor light... Oh & with clumsy hands - which they tend to become when something just won't behave.

Other than (a) making sure you're inserting it perpendicular to the mobo & (b) wiggling it, you 'could' try bending the bottom of the bracket slightly one way (& if it doesn't help the other).

12. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

try to lightly press the extremity of the GPU bracket while inserting it (sometimes it's really tight and need a little help)

[​IMG]

13. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

[​IMG]

i had the same problem only it was with a soundcard, the metal bit was bent and made it impossible to install the card.

14. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

Cheers guys, tried both and seems it has gone in as far as it will physically go now as the top of the bracket is right up against the case. Just looks like it should go further so kinda weird.

I guess the real proof will be when I finish the build and try a test run though looks like I underestimated the parts I need and the fact the d plug won't screw it is really frustrating.

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

16. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Thats odd, as its a standard fitting size. Tried on both ports I assume?

18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Sometimes it helps if the tongues are angled outwards, ever so slightly; to guide them through the small slots at the bottom of the PCI back plate. However, in that situation, both of them must be aligned.

Remove the mobo and have a quick gander at those bottom receiving slots, to make sure one isn't bent or blocked; then test fit the card.

19. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

^ this. It looks like from the photos that the tongues are not going all the way down.

20. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

The card seems to be fully inserted into the slot now it just looks like it should go further as the arch in the pcie is riding a little above the arch in the pcie slot. Seems odd but I guess nothing short of test firing the system will determine if that is how it should be.

It was really strange with the d plug as I tried it both ports and it fits just fine with both parts in the top full cover side but not the backplate side. It screws in a certain way then just stops. Wondering whether to get a wrench and try tighten it that way.