1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Graphics card died?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Azmat, 1 May 2010.

1. Azmat

Azmat What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

This evening was enjoying some good bfbc2 action, when suddenly the frame locks up, and partial blue/green/red stripes show up in that frame. The system seems to lock up and my screen goes black, the monitor starts looping over the inputs (analog/hdmi/digital), the system does not autoreboot. As you can guess, that didn't make me all happy.
    I immediatly suspect the graphics card, and i feel at the case exhausts to see if it might be very hot. Which wasn't, so i unscrew the access panel and touch the graphics card to see if it might be overheated. It certainly wasn't (temps were/are always ok, so it would've amazed me).

Upon rebooting, all text looks garbled, it is ridden with ? # &, but still some text can be made out. The system boots with no problem, it even properly states (i can make it out) my graphics card. Once windows has booted however, it is riddled with tons of horizontal (partial) lines, in all sorts of colours (looks like copied lines from other places of the current frame).
    I even took the liberty to take a picture.
    Running dxdiag showed me windows did not seem to recognize the card, and showed no driver version, though i suppose the latter has the former to blame for that. Still, i'm getting output...

Is my graphics card broken, or what is going on ?

2. mattbailey

mattbailey What's a Dremel?

Have you tried pulling the card out, reseating it? De-install and reinstall the drivers? It does look one sick puppy!

Azmat likes this.
  3. Azmat

Azmat What's a Dremel?

Hey,
    I was kind of dreading having to start taking the rig apart, pulling some cards out the other pcs and all, but simply reseating was something i could quickly try. Magically... :jawdrop: it seemed to have worked.
    Sometimes the simplest things... Damn :blush:
    I just hope it'll stick with me for a while to come, the current graphics market/prices were already causing a headache :)

Edit:
    Well, never mind. After leaving the pc running for a while, the artifacts show up again and the show's over once more. So i suppose the card is not quite, but well near dead :(

Last edited: 2 May 2010
  4. dimebar

dimebar What's a Dremel?

its dead:thumb:

my 3 year old 8800gtx died as a result of the bad nvidia drivers a month ago, and then 2 weeks later the replacement did the same, :waah:

the artifacts you are discribing, basicallly its overheated somthing.

so this time BFG replaced it with a gtx 260oc maxcore....woo hoo:clap:

5. Azmat

Azmat What's a Dremel?

My drivers are okay, not too old, not too new.

That's what i thought, initially. I just don't get how, it's the first thing i checked when i got the artifacts, and i don't mean i waited 15 minutes, i did it immediatly. Yet the card wasn't all that hot, the fan still works aswell. When i left the pc on after reseating, it went fine for an hour. I was doing nothing spectacular, all that was open was steam. No games, nothing intense for a graphics card.
    I'm sure it's dead by now, it's just i find overheating hard to believe :(

Well, this time i'm getting an ati 5870. That'll give the ol' system a good jolt :D

6. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Yeah it certainly will mate!

7. matt...

matt... Slacker

my 4870 died not too long ago and gave a weird 'matrix' effect with green lines running down the screen, even in the BIOS... of course having w/c the thing it was out of warranty: -(

8. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

bake the card!

9. matt...

matt... Slacker

lol - think I already fried it :)

it's already been replaced with a better card, so not to worry - I've heard the solder for the memory chips would die after a while and could, on aoccasion, be brought back to life by a brief stint in a fan oven :)

10. MarkNorton1

MarkNorton1 What's a Dremel?

I have 2 x 8800GTX's in my rig, my oldest card started doing the same, in devices it shows up as error code 43, did a bit of research and thought I would try baking it myself!

10 mins with tin foil and stripped down at around 190c, took it out, left it to cool for a few hours, re-built and voila! seems to be going well at the moment, figured even if it buys me a few more weeks/months it might be long enough to let the new Nvidia cards mature a little before i go down the line of a replacement, just think it might be worth a go thats all, got nothing to loose!