1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Graphics Card RMA help please?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bogie170, 6 Sep 2010.

1. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I RMA'd a Powercolour HD4870x2 to Overclockers.com they sent the card to Powercolour in Holland who confirmed a VRAM fault and issued a refund.

It has taken 2 months to go through and they have refunded £115.

The card cost me £385 when I purchased it brand new and it had a 2 year warranty. It went wrong on the last month of the warranty and I returned it within the warrantys timeframe.

I am a bit pissed that they have only refunded £115. I would have preferred a replacement.

Considering I paid £385, and it was in warranty, I feel a bit hard done by.

Anyone have any suggestions on this matter or am I lucky to get £115 refunded?

2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Err in what way can that possibly be right.....

3. bogie170

Thats what I thought. I got the email tonight confirming the refund and I was like, wtf, how can they do that and get away with it?

4. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

That's definitely fishy.

5. bogie170

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I don't have any advice I'm afraid! But that is an unacceptable amount of money to be refunded. I'm not sure you'd be entitled to a total refund, but it should be far more than that, or they should have replaced it with a card of equal or higher value.

7. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I second your tought, It is not fair. If the card is warranty they dont have other choice than Replace it. If no, why gave warranty to people ? If they dont have another 4870 X2 ask for something in the same range like a GTX295.

115 buck is a real joke.

8. NeiltheDruid

NeiltheDruid Minimodder

That's out of order. It really angers me how many times I have heard different graphics card manufactures trying to wriggle out of their reponsiblities when it comes to warranties. Do you have an invoice that you can show Powercolour to prove the cost?

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Do you have a copy of the warranty T&C's? Is it on the Powercolour website?

10. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

That's a joke mate, I would do the above, check their site for T&C's.

11. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

ive just swapped my 22" samsung monitor for a brand new one. free of charge after 20 months.

they didnt say oh well you have used it for nearly 2 years so its only worth £50 and therefore refund me that. !!!

12. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I believe a warranty HAS to be replacement or repair. They can give a refund only if you accept.

13. adam_bagpuss

correct under the SoG Act 1979 they have to offer you a repair or replacement.

while they can give you less money back than you paid for they have to offer you the choice of replacement not just refund without your consent.

14. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Well look at that! I was right for once! Next thing you know I'll even start quoting stuff to help! Wonders will never cease! ;)

15. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Damn company, they are snaky ! They are able to call you at the home

Dringgg Dringgggg Yes, Hello ? REC

You said Yes ! Your warranty is void, we'll send you a check with the amount of the tax on your purchase. You welcome

Woot ? 0.o

DragunovHUN likes this.
  16. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

17. bogie170

I got a reply from overclockers today:-

Dear Sir,

I am affraid that due to the fact that the model of graphics card that you had is no longer in production a replacment card of the same kind was not available.

Due to the same reason we are not able to replace the card for an alternative as this proposes a disproportionate cost for us to do so therefore we have issued you with a partial refund taking into account the amount of time that the graphics card was in your possesion, this is in accordance with the sales of goods act, therefore there is unfortunately nothing further that we can do.

Regards

Chris Montgomery

Returns Manager
    Overclockers UK

I did not agree to the warranty they just decided to give it to me.
    Warrantys are wothless then basically. Whats the point in having them?

18. adam_bagpuss

ring consumer direct. They will know if overclockers are ok to do this.

to be honest companies usually dont know anything about the SoG Act or are quite happy to quote BS all day long just to get rid of you.

had a run in with scan which turned into a big argument as they were mis-intrupreting the SoG act and telling me i was wrong which after ringing consumer direct turned out i was 100% correct.

reading the SoG Act i think they may be right as you cant force the supplier to give you a replacement if it is deemed too costly but whos to say whats too costly.

if its within the warranty period though im not sure where you stand as i would have thought you can get a reaplacement or full refund.

like i said talk to consumer direct explain wahts happened and they will tell you exactly what to do.

number: 0845 4040506

19. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

for things that cost large sums of money, under the sales of goods act, it can be summised that something that has a high value should last a reasonable amount of time, in the uk, that can be upto 6 years.

20. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

This does indeed sound very fishy. I would take a copy of the warranty and any communication you have had with Overclockers.co.uk (Overclockers.com is a community website, not a retailer) to your local Citizens Advice Bureau and ask them for legal advice.