1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Graphics Tablets

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by kingozzy666, 17 Jan 2010.

1. kingozzy666

kingozzy666 BLASHYRKH!

Hi everyone.
    Basically I'm looking for a Graphics Tablet. I'm a complete noob when it comes to tablets so I was wondering if any of you guys could help. I basically just want something that I can use for learning how to do digital drawing and art and isn't to expensive (sub £60 would be nice).

Any suggestions?

2. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

ive got the larger wacom bamboo, and while im sure its no use at all for a professional, its great for the light use i have for it.

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

you wont get anything good for sub 60 quid.

I use a wacom intuos 3 A4 and that was over 300.

4. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

The closest that fits in your price range is Trust, I think they do an A5 one for about that (or did when I got one, let mum sit on it and it break in half)

5. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Wacom is pretty much where it's at. The Bamboo is about as basic as you'd want to go, otherwise save your monies and get an Intuos. I've used a few other tablets by other manufacturers, like Genius, and while they're not all bad, they're not great either.

http://www.wacom.eu/index2.asp?pid=0&lang=en

6. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

I use a usb 7" touch screen at 800x480 with third party apps on win 7.

I cant believe there are so few people that dont think about this.

Andy

7. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

You mean, there are so few people that do think of this. If a few people didn't think of this, then most of us would be thinking of it, which would mean your idea would be widespread instead of a novel one. Making sense?

And the reason is that using a a real graphics tablet offers more then just the touch space, they usually offer dedicated or programmable buttons that are used in most graphics applications. Not to mention, I can't see how 7" would be even remotely helpful in in any serious work. But the idea is sound. make the screen larger, more sensitive, a pressure sensitive brush, add some hardware buttons and you have a viable product. One that is made by Wacom.

8. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I use an older Wacom Graphire3 tablet. It's only 4x5, cost less than $100, doesn't have any buttons on the tablet itself, and it's something that many "professionals" would scoff at. However, I find that with a little patience and a touch of skill I can do just about anything with it.

Since you're a self-admitted noob, and you just want something basic to learn with, you can't go wrong with a Wacom Bamboo. I think they sell for about $70 or less here in the U.S., but you might be able to find it cheaper if you look around.

9. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Another cheap option might be the Genius tablets reviewed here. and the Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch reviewed here. Though neither off them will give you the control thaty the intuos range gives

10. veato

veato I should be working

Being a non-pro I went for the Wacom Bamboo (the bigger of the two). It was the previous model - white - and works great. The nib on the pen wears down quite quickly though. I bought it from Pixmania as it was the cheapest place I could find at the time. I dont know about sub-£60 though. Maybe a Trust or Aiptek.

11. alecamused

alecamused Minimodder

I'm totally not helping here, but i have to say it. The Wacom Cintiq 21UX is just amazing. :)

12. kingozzy666

kingozzy666 BLASHYRKH!

Hm I think the bamboo pen and touch looks pretty good and its £70 which isn't completely out of my price range.

Thanks very much guys.

13. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

I've got the Bamboo Pen+Touch. i can't get very smooth lines with it, but i think thats lack of practice on my part as my flatmate (whos used to using tablets) gets good results with it.

one thing to point out is that the win7 drivers are a bit buggy. the tablet has to be plugged into the computer when you start up. if you just plug it in windows only picks it up as a touchpad.

and the actual 'touch' part is a bit crap... if you just go fot eh Bamboo pen tablet, its cheaper, and you want miss the multitouch.

14. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Define "smooth lines." Also, is he using your tablet with your computer, or is he using the same model tablet with his own setup? One possible cause for lines that aren't smooth is not having the right settings in your graphics program of choice. In Photoshop, I can configure each tool to use the pen in different ways, including the "smoothness" of the lines. The options are located in the "Brush Presets" menu.

15. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

16. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

I mean as in everything i draw is a bit jittery and looks messy. i cant get nice curving lines like i can on paper, but i'm sure i just need a bit of practice... My flatmate was using it on my computer, same settings as me. I've played around with the photoshop settings... some really nice effects with them, but it still doesn't mean i can draw with it ;)
    having said that, i am getting better.

17. kingozzy666

kingozzy666 BLASHYRKH!

Hm Judging by what everyone has said its probably worth saving up more money and getting a bigger tablet. Tbh from what I've seen of the pen and touch etc, they seem to be pitched more as note taking and multitouch pad devices rather than for drawing and digital art.

18. dryrice

dryrice Zestious Knight

Wacom tablets are the best and the newer versions are more like a macbook touch pad. if you got the cash then A4 size or larger if not then the A5 is just as fine.