1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Gremlins attacking my D630 monitor!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Blogins, 20 Jul 2011.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

After working with my Dell Latitude D630 laptop over the past few weeks, I have only one problem left! Sometimes when I open the laptop up having been in 'sleep' mode the D630 display doesn't wake up. Nothing in BIOS helps the situation so I'm curious if this problem can be solved from some Windows trickery?

So any other suggestions?

2. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Is it anything to do with the little pin sticking on the power bezel? I have had it before on d series laptops

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Can't say I know what mechanism triggers the display off function. The laptop lid latch doesn't and I don't see an obvious PIN. Please enlighten me dancingbear84! :thumb:

4. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I will have to look at a 600 at work tomorrow but the 500 was very similar and has a small plastic "pin" on the bezel that protrudes from a hole. Usually to the left of the power and volume buttons from memory. That pin triggers a micro switch on lid close that can get stuck under the edge of the hole from time to time. If I get a minute and I remember I'll try to take a pic. That power bezel lifts off easy just a gently tug at the recessed end on the far right, we have a lot of these at work so I'll try to help if I can. They are great little laptops!

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I see a small hole to the right just underneath the LED indicators, but no pin protruding from the LCD panel as such. Was curious as to the function of that pin hole, I shall investigate further! Let me know what you find dancingbear84, your help is much appreciated; we can kill this final Gremlin! :thumb:

After working with this D630 I have lots of respect for the design. Get 4 to 5 hours out of the battery as well!

6. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

So I was getting my models confused, I was thinking of the 610. I wall take a look art the 630 in a bit

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Thanks, will be very useful.

8. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

Did you try changing power management profiles?

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Yes tried all sorts! For now sleep mode is turned off, however when the laptop lid is closed it's unavoidable.

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Come to think of it, could it be because I have an SSD installed?

I've read similar accounts of this. Perhaps it's simply one gremlin I have to tolerate for the SSD speed?

11. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Just replaced the D630 screens bezel which was shipped all the way from China and it appears to work perfectly! Looking at the old bezel a good old magnet mechanism operates the screen off switch when the lid is closed. It was all gunky so I'm guessing that was most likely the problem.