1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 GRID demo out (360)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by M4RTIN, 9 May 2008.

1. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

just downloading now, hope it's as good as the videos have led me to believe

2. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

had a bit of a go on this now and it's not too bad, only problem is the cars seem a bit light and "floaty" to me, as if theres a light frost on the track. the graphics are impressive, it looks better than dirt. crashes are really good too, and when you have a car killing crash you can run through it in slow motion rom various camera angles.

*edit*

actually the drift races are great, the ligthness seems just fine then

Last edited: 9 May 2008
  3. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Seems pretty nice to me. Unlike Gran Turismo, you don't have a massive speed advantage over cars in front of you. However, like GT, you CAN hammer into the sides of other cars in the corners to push them out of the way and get round the corner faster. I quickly made my way to the front of the pack after half a lap, and then one more small bump and my car was finished (unsurprising really, since the front of the car was about a foot shorter than when I started). So clearly this technique will not suffice, I shall have to drive more conservatively. So yeah, good damage, handling seems fine although I'm no expert.

Is this a semi-sequel to the TOCA Race Driver series? It seems familiar. I've only done one race, I'll try for a bit longer later, but so far it seems pretty damn good :)

4. ChriX

ChriX ^

I've played it on PS3 and it feels like you are glued to the road! Gives the impression I could take a hairpin at 1000mph and get away with it. The physics really feel like an early Burnout game, or a McRae rally game but on road stages. I just found myself in fits of laughter most of the time, which is good and means I'll probably get it. :)

5. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

It was fun. In the 20 minutes of playing I would say I was actually driving for about 5. The rest of my time was spent pissing around with the replays. The damage is pretty sweet.

Would have to agree on the handling though. It was very sticky.

6. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I just tried it with all the driver aids off and the opponents on the hardest setting and I could only manage 8th in the 'stang race. It was a nightmare to steer on these settings though - you literally cannot turn one degree whilst braking which seems a bit wrong, although like I say I'm no expert. It's definitely a challenge though, I like it. The damage is awesome though - and the scratched cars look fantastic (graphically).

One thing I noticed that's quite cool - when you're on the grid looking head on at your car, if you rev the engine, the car will wobble slightly. Nice touch.

One thing that's not so clever - when you stove into a wall at 100mph the driver's head doesn't move at all :lol:

7. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Few games do that, namely Forza2 ;)

8. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I quiet liked it, however, what i didn't like, was the handling, especially after you had spun out, its very easy to just continue spinning. very annoying.

Sam

9. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

I'll probably rent this on PS3. Handling definitely not good, found it pretty unplayable with a controller. With my G25 it was a bit better, but for the touring cars even with all aids off it just felt like gliding on ice and hardly had any feeling to the car especially when braking. Muscle Cars race was okay, but I had the most fun with Drifting cos I'm biased towards that :) 900 degree mode is also a laugh too. It's like driving a bloody HGV! :rolleyes:

It's a shame Codies won't be returning to its TOCA sim roots. Since DIRT was dumbed down so much and now this, I guess we'll probably never see the likes of those games again.

10. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Tried out the demo today and the only thing remotely good is the audio. Everything else is trash. Didnt even finish a race before i turned it off and deleted it.

11. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

Been playing the PC demo and I'd agree on the most part about the handling - it's not GTR2 by any stretch of the imagination.

Sometimes though, I think people forget why they play games; for me it's simple - fun.

The fact is that this game looks and sounds fantastic and there really is a lot to like about it. With the more arcadey handling model it will appeal to a wider audience than a "sim" style game. I have to say that I ultimately found it to be fantastic fun, especially when racing with friends in multiplayer mode.

Doubtless the hardcore race fans will deem it to be "fake" and shake their logitech G25's in frustration but it continues to make me smile.

12. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Anyone going to have a go to win that BMW? :p

I got 1:14.96 but looking at the leaderboard I'm going to have to try a little harder!

I think I can take at least another 1 second off that as I actually stuck a wheel in the sand at one point and had a bit of a slide round the first corner which slows you down loads. :p

Would be ****ing great to win a car though!

13. charlesbeams

charlesbeams TRANCEFORMer

bit late to this haha, but i downloaded the demo today. seems ok, i really enjoyed drifting once i got the hang of it.

probably get this £32 is the cheapest ive seen.

14. charlesbeams

charlesbeams TRANCEFORMer

i got my copy today :) its awesome.

15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

JESUS!

I only just saw the leader board. I was playing the Time Trial for the more.. One on one feel, but goddamn.

Those guys are scary good.

Side note: Why does the EU get a BMW that looks like it's been designed to put everything right in the world when the US gets a car that is pretty much designed to flay babies and destroy the planet as it pulls off your drive?

16. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Because that is a quality marketed quite heavily in the US. It is often made a point to ask, at car dealerships when buying a car, if the car is capable of killing children instantly with its fumes, and if it runs on diced orangutan meat :naughty:. In fact, they now publish figures for the 'asthma radius' in the brochure.

I've seen 5.6l engines in American cars, which still took over 10 seconds to reach 60mph:wallbash:. And the car wobbled like a stoner with tea tray. I suppose its because they get the petrol for so cheap... :sigh:

About the game: tried the demo. Twas fun but I see what you all mean about the whole old-school burnout style handling. TBH, I don't think I could get into such a game... I either go all out with Gran Turismo, or go arcade-y with NFS.

(EDIT: 1st paragraph is over-emphasised. not to be taken literally)

Tags: