Graphics GTX275 to a....?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by markbrett64, 14 Aug 2010.

1. markbrett64

markbrett64 thanks to denial I am now immortal

Hi All,

I'd originally planned to SLI my GTX275, but then I dithered and they EOL'd it.

So I'm sat here, having read some of the reviews of the latest GPUs and I'm wondering can people suggest what, if anything, would give me a noticeable upgrade in performance?

Let's start with money no object and then once I've passed out at the price of a 5970 :jawdrop: ... I can maybe order something?!

Thanks.

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

GTX460 seems to be the flavor of the month right now.

And you have a SLI mobo so two will pretty much beat most things.

3. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

4. Teelzebub

Wow that's expensive I recently bought a GTX275 for £90inc

5. markbrett64

markbrett64 thanks to denial I am now immortal

Thanks guys... I had looked at second hand and it is an option.

What I want to avoid is spending a lot for not a lot of gain. How much would I expect to see for 2 x GTX275s versus 2xGTX460s?

Also, what would the AMD alternatives offer? I know there is new stuff coming out next year, but winter is my prime gaming time, so I'd rather upgrade now and enjoy the benefits and then see what's on offer in 12 months.

Oh, just to add... my setup is i5-750 @ 3.2, Maximus III Formula, CM HAF 932, Corsair H50, 4Gb Corsair 1600mhz RAM.

Oh and one last question. I take it I can mix and match GPU makes? My 275 is Gainward, can I mix it with an Asus card?

6. Teelzebub

Well two GTX460 will beat a GTX480 and will give you DX11 ok I know there's not many games that are DX11 but there will be.

The GTX275 are good cards in fact I have a SLI system with two of the 275's in SLI but they are still old tech and second hand = no warranty.

7. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

You can, I have actually tested this particular combo with my brother's card (he's got a Gainward one, I have Asus) for some Crysis benchmarking cheesecake. Works just fine.

8. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

You can mix gpu brands, just don't mix GPUs i.e. Asus and Gainward 275's are fine, but a Gainward 285 and a Gainward 260 would not be OK.

If your PSU and motherboard are up for it, then doing 275 SLI is the way to go. You'll miss out on DX11 for now, but there's no must have DX11 effects. 2xGTX 275's would put you at GTX295 performance, and that's clearly better than an ATI 5870 ... so it's high-end performance for relatively little investment.

The VGA charts will give you a sense of performance ... have a look at the GTX 295 to get a guage. Bear in mind that the ATI drivers have improved since these benchmarks.