1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX460 Cyclone running hot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Singularity, 27 Apr 2011.

1. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

Right, the gfx card in my sig (MSI GTX460 768MB Cyclone), has recently started running hotter than before.
    Bought in November 2010, the card idled at 40ish °C, and full load in furmark (MSI Kombustor) never went over 65°C (after about 15 minutes).
    The last couple of weeks, it's been idling at over 45°C, load going up to 70°C.

I've tried re-applying the thermal paste, various techniques and amounts of paste, and I'm getting even worse temperatures.
    In fact, the best I've achieved has been 45°C idle and 72°C load after only a couple of minutes.

Now, I'm out of ideas how to apply the paste to get anything better. Last one I tried was this guide, but that's probably the worst one yet. I've literally had better temperatures with a huge glob of paste.

I do notice that the cooler and the GFX chip don't really touch well without paste (as in, when I place the cooler on the chip, I can see through the space quite clearly). In fact, coating the chip with a thin layer of paste, screwing the cooler on it as tight as it can go, and taking the cooler off just confirms that only a small area of the cooler actually touches the chip.
    Would you think this would warrant an RMA?

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I don't think its a big deal. At the end of the day, your temps are fine for a GPU. Also, disassembling a GPU voids the warranty :p

3. Singularity

No warranty sticker on the screws - no voiding as far as I know.
    (I've had a few cards go through my hands and some of them had the warranty stickers over the screws - like my previous Sapphire card)

Temperature-wise... can 3°C change in ambient temperature cause 5+ °C higher card temperatures? I somehow doubt it...
    From what I can find around the net, these cards rarely go over 65°C at load...

4. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Have you taken into consideration the increase in ambient temperature? All this nice weather we have will have an effect on your temps.

Its the delta you need to measure

5. Singularity

Well, I hope it's that, but I don't really like that. (The CPU doesn't show such a big change in temperatures)
    I bought this card specifically because it's quiet - or should be (in idle). I don't mind the 3-4°C change as much as I mind the fact that the card now idles higher, causing the fan to run faster and distinctly louder. (don't mind the higher speed in load since I game with headphones, but don't like it blaring while I'm programming, etc.)

6. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

There might be something wrong, my 460 1GB cyclone runs overvolted to 1.87V, 910 core, 2000 memory and tops out at 65 C. My room temperature is around 20-26 C around now.

7. Singularity

I don't suppose you've changed the thermal paste on it?
    Ambient in my living room is 20-22 most of the time...

8. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Nope, stock paste. I am running a custom fan profile though, which ramps up faster and more dramatically than the normal one.

9. murraynt

murraynt Modder

It's fine mate. It's more than likely down to the raise in the temperature

Lol. Just seen you live in Croatia and you are worried about a card at 72 degrees. I'm in cold wet Ireland and my 275 hits 92 degrees . :hehe:

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

There should not be a visible gap between the heatsink and GPU! Perhaps the PCB has flexed somewhat? Either way that would account for the jump in temperatures. Just for reference my GTX 460 rovers around 32 idle.

11. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

really is nothing at all to be worried about