Guide to digital photography, part 1

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 21 Feb 2005.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

not really a guide to digital photography yet, but a good guide nonetheless! :thumb:

What sort of timeframe will updates be?

RoB

3. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

Yes, you are right. When doing my research I found many horror stories and since buying a camera preceeds all usage and practices, I decided to launch with this chapter. All other chapters (5 or 6 of them) will be all technical.

My schedule is probably one of these a month. But, if we get a lot of feedback and/or suggestions of what you want to see, we could ramp it up a bit. I have my own agenda but I am interested in what our readers want to see. Keep in mind, there are a lot of great digital photography websites out there. I'm trying to keep this in context as to how it applies to our audience. :thumb:

4. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Good opening eddie_dane, I purchased my first digital camera about a year ago and had similar experiences when hunting for a good buy, in the end I found what I wanted for a bargain price at a reputable camera store.

Looking forward for the next chapters, I haven't really played around with most of the settings on my camera yet, and since I spend most of my free time here on bit-tech it would be a great way to learn :baby:

Personally I'd like to see more than 1 chapter a month though ;)

EDIT: btw, is that a pic of you camera? good choice if it is ;)

Last edited: 21 Feb 2005
  5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I was expecting something like:
    Use a flash
    Use a tripod
    USE THE DAMN MACRO BUTTON!

Longish read but looked helpful, I more glanced over it than anything as I already have a digicam though.

6. eddie_dane

Yes, that's my new baby, the Panasonic FZ20. :D

Since different models handle features so differently, future chapters will cover the features, what they are intended for and some practical examples of why you should use them (we'll also include flashes and tripod type accessories).

7. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

I knew it was 20 instead of the 15 ;)

I was after the lesser one, FZ10, but I couldn't find anyone who had any in stock so ended up with a Fujitsu S602Pro, I got a 1gig microdrive chucked in for free so I couldn't say no, also, I prefer regular 'AA' batteries.
    I'm reasonably happy with it although I find it has really poor auto focusing ability. Once I learn to use it properly and can justify an upgrade I'll be looking again at Panasonic or Canon :)

8. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Full manual all the way :baby:

9. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

Cant wait for the next set of articles. no matter how many websites are out there none are going to be specific to a comunity such as this and those articles require more effort than reading the top article on bit-tech

10. Quakefire

Quakefire What's a Dremel?

Well considering that i work as a sales associate for black's photography if any of you have been to canada (astrals in quebec). I can give a few tips.

Look for a place that doesn't sell on comission, otherwise u all need a cannon 20d with upgraded lens package (2500 dollars)

wide selection of cameras from low end (olympus d series maybe or kodaks) right to the top (nikon d70 or canon 20D)

if they dont let u play with the camera first, dont bother

if they wont refer u somewhere else if u need it, walk away. People are amazed when we tell them they can get something better or cheaper somehwere else. Good customer service makes it a better place to deal with

if you cant justify buying the digital slr u really want, dont bring ur wife/parents/signifigant other to talk you outta it :D

If you want a camera goto www.dpreview.com

11. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

make sure you add a part in furture guides that pictures dotn need to be 22000x2000000000 to look good...Browsing the project log section burns up my dsl modem with lazy non resizing people...

12. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Agreed, I've said theres more to image quality than the pixel count for a while now (mainly to defend my 3.3 mpix cam ;)).

13. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

^^^ definitely
    i have a 3.3mp olympus 3040 and it takes much better pics than what ive seen from new 5mp "fashion" and compact cameras

although i have a 6.3mp canon as well, and it takes better pics than the olympus, but we wont go there :)

seems like a lot of people just take the MP into account, ie any 5mp camera is better than any 3mp camera, was in jacobs a bit ago and overheard someone that came in and asked what small 5mpox+ camera theyd reccommend for taking everyday pics and viewing them on a pc and not printing :rolleyes:

14. eddie_dane

All good points. An example is the camera I got, the Panasonic FZ20. It's a 5MP camera. Panasonic makes a 2,3, and 4 variation of essentially the same design. The image quality of the lower resolution cameras is actually better in certain circumstances (Higher ISO's). I chose mine because it was a combination of a couple other features that had an inherent value. MP only really translates to printing and cropping, a lot of people really overlook that especially since most folks will only print 4x6 prints, if ever and has no real bearing on pics intended to post on the web. I will address these issues and more in future chapters so stay tuned but keep commenting so I make sure the series stays on track to what you like to see. :thumb:

15. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

16. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

This could very well come in handy! (A guide to digital photography)
    But I found the first part a bit dissapointing.
    It was more a guide to purchasing a digital camera.

L

17. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

That would be the first step, yes...? :rolleyes:

18. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Hmmmm

Maybe so. I think most people are grown up enough to buy stuff on their own. :)

But It wasn't a complaint though. Just a remark. I'm looking forward to the actually photography guide.

:)

L

19. BigTBird

BigTBird What's a Dremel?

Have to watch the major sellers too...

I just had an experience with A&M Photo World. They advertized in Outdoor Photography...full page ad. Even though they did not put their address in their ad...anywhere...it was assumed it was just a mail order firm. They showed the best price for a Panasonic FZ-15K by far. Showed $319.99 in the Feb 2005 issue. Went online to order and found the price at $369.99. Called them to find out what the correct price was and then they quoted me $409.99 saying that the lower priced models were not USA models and they were OUT of them. But could sell me the $409.99. I said, "No" but went back to the website and attempted to order the one at $369.99 which was still a pretty good price. They called me later to confirm the purchase...and tried to sell me another battery saying the one that came with it was not full power. I declined because I had a FZ1 with two batteries that fit the FZ-15. Shortly after that I got an email saying that my order was cancelled.
    I told a friend about this place as he was looking at a Fuji S7000 and the price they asked was the best he'd seen. I had warned him but he gave it a try...and they said they had them at that price. When he went ahead with the order they then asked what warranty he wanted to buy. He said he'd just take the manufacturer's warrenty that came with the camera. They said that none came with it and it would cost him about $100 for one thru them. So he cancelled. I found another place that was actually $6.00 lower in price than their mid price and got it from them. It came...with warranty...full battery and all. I am happy but not with that company. So be careful as the article says...and look around very good. Good deals can be found but you have to be careful. :naughty:

20. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

I'm looking forward to part 2. Already have a camera and hope future articles can help me take better pix for posting projects. I haven't taken the time to really dig into my camera's features that may help. Would prefer to be led by the hand, rather than the trial and error method. Very detailed an informative article on what to watch out for in buying a camera (had no clue about the "grey market") and will keep it in mind for the future.

Tags: Add Tags