Education Gumtree Questions

Discussion in 'General' started by Hamfunk, 4 Jul 2012.

1. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Anyone here use it regularly?

I'm new to it and have put an ad up, so far I have had 5 responses and the ad hasnt even been up 24 hours!

Anyway i'm concerned that they are all scammers / fake. Four of them have read along the lines of:

'I'm interested in your item.....is it still for sale? / Where abouts are you?'

When i respond they have all responded with their yahoo email addresses. Is it normal to carryout transactions / correspondence outside of the Gumtree email system???

Any info appreciated!!!

2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I have bought and sold there - never send anything, never let people come to your house, at least those were always my morals. If you are selling small items just go meet people local, if larger and they need to collect obviously they will have to come collect. get phone numbers and deal with it over the phone, can tell a lot more about a person that way!

3. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

I've used it a few times. Never dealt with people using email on it - telephone only and I would recommend you use that too. Never had a problem with people coming to my house to look at the stuff and most that do that just pay the cash and take the item away. I've usually had someone else in the house though and I don't know what it would be like in a flat.

4. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

I think people coming to your house works both ways, as a buyer i would not buy from someone not prepared for me to collect it from either there home or there place of work in case they were hocking me stolen items or did not want to give away where they live/be traceable later because the item was faulty.

5. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Thanks for the advice guys, i've changed my listing to phone number, rather than email!

I tried to give the potential buyers the benefit of the doubt on email, but they all seemed dodgy. Not a good first impression of Gumtree! Hopefully it gets better!

6. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

lol I remember when I had two PC's listed for sale, put up a mobile number I wasn't all that fussed about. All I got was text after text after text. You try to call someone and they would not answer their phone, in the end I said look if you want details call me, I'm not dealing with text messages, to me thats rude.