1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Gutting CRTs

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Stwongbad, 19 Jun 2006.

1. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Basically you'll be fine if you just open them and don't go prodding around. You might want to secure them somewhere if you have pets or kids in the house.

The real bitch to worry about is the big connecter under the suction cup. Leave it the hell alone and you'll be fine ;)

Also, I've read about people dying the plastic case, that might be an option.

2. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

If you really want to be amazing set it up so you can discharge the caps to weld metal. I would resiously want to take apart a CRT and make a arc welder out of it. Imagine the shows you could make. Get a few 50,000V transformers isolate them put them in series then make a spark gap. Iono it would be something to do. But I don;'t have a crt to mess with. Maybe I can go find one.

3. daguuy

daguuy I hate lolcats

i once disected a 27" CRT monitor (everything but the tube). of course i was extremely careful and knew exactly what i was doing and all that stuff so it went smoothly and i didn't get hurt but if you're not superman or a professional i don't recomend it because you could easily get hurt badly if you mess up. be very careful with the tube and capacitors if you're gonna disect it though. don't break the tube because it's a vacume and will implode (or explode if you really screw up) and send shards of glass flying into your eyeballs and that would be pretty painful.

4. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

You could get a really strong BB gun and shoot at it from a long distance, in the middle of nowhere. But even then, you better beware. Parts can fly really, really long..

Damn.. got to try it

5. Stwongbad

Stwongbad What's a Dremel?

LOL , read...the sixth post.

6. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

or better yet, turn it on then shoot it with a .50 cal rifle :D

7. Stwongbad

...Do you have a .50cal rifle you'd like to share with us? *eyes old crts*..

8. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

unfortunately no, since they are illegal here :( but i am sure someone on bit-tech either has one or can get one :D.

BTW you can use them to cut down small trees :D

9. MidnghtDrgn

MidnghtDrgn What's a Dremel?

Has access to one.

10. Stwongbad

Arizona isnt too far....wanna go CRT hunting bud?