1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News [H]ardOCP heading for another lawsuit

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Oct 2004.

1. Mnet_Gaming

Mnet_Gaming What's a Dremel?

Sorry I was speaking on a broad term, not just 05. But yeah, I'm assuming the same can be said for the overall areas of the GPU which are being stressed.

anyway, I msut be off. Have a good night

2. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

First off: i have never been to [H] so i dont know whats said there or what opinions are or anything really, but from the facts presented to me here's my opinion.

EVERYONE is entitled to their own opinion, but when you state your opinion in such a way that its not clear that its an opinion, not a fact, then your asking for trouble. Furthermore, using your opinion in said way or stateing your opinion without backing it up and attempting to pass it as fact when your in a position of power or influence is wrong. For example, if bigZ said; "the sky is blue" i would be more likly to belive him then if jhon smith with 3 posts came on and said the same thing. People in power are entitled to an opinion, but if theres any trouth to this being an ongoing thing ( [H] saying bad things about FM products) then i think that FM has every right to be upset.

Just my humble opinion. Disagree with me? great! your entitled to your opinion too!

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

Watch out, FutureMark will sue you too! :D ;)

4. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

5. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

But just like you said at the end... They have their right to disagree... not bring in lawyers.
    That's the catch here. FM can hate [H], and we already know [H] hates FM... I say **** it. Let them hate each other. 3dmark used to be good for games, but as stated games are becoming more and more complex and using many different tools in many different ways, and this makes realistic benchmarks harder and harder to make. In my opinion, then, FM should be trying to make the most of ALL the tools available in ONE release, instead of focusing on releasing every couple years. However, that isn't going to happen. So that leaves it as good for a benchmark of (as stated) how well a system can run 3dmark. Nothing more.
    Therefor, as stated, 3dmark "sucks" as an actual representation of how well a system will run any game. 'comprende?

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I think that was his point... it only gives you a reference to other systems, not actual performance (unless you analyze their game's FPS which still doesn't tend to represent current games). Perhaps they should make something that'll run a standard (but gameplay-realistic) timedemo of a bunch of popular games and base their score off of that... then it would acutally be based off of useful numbers.

7. rarich

rarich What's a Dremel?

The guy is USA based. The First Amendment is part of the Constitution here. It provides for freedom of speech, allowing you to say just about anything (including criminal stuff), as long as you do not act on it. The press here also uses it as one of the legalisms to hide behind everytime they mess up.

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

What happens if Kyle has broken the law in another country though?

With it being the internet, surely things should fall under international law, not national law?

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No, it depends where the site is being hosted - hence why you get some illegal sites that are so hard to take off the web cause the laws in that country are so lax and undefined.

10. quack

quack Minimodder

This is rather funny actually... especially as it would be libel and not slander... if it weren't just an opinion.

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

slander is in the oral sense, right? :)

12. quack

quack Minimodder

Libel = written.
    Slander = spoken.
    :D

13. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Wouldn't it have been an idea for FM to purchase a licence for the engines to HL2 and D3 and then use these as basis for benchmarking? Then NVidia/ATI et al would be optimising their drivers for actual and forthcoming games.

14. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

Except that would make sense :rolleyes:

15. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

Unless you're in public school :rolleyes:

16. MeanieMan

MeanieMan What's a Dremel?

[H]ard|OCP 1
    Futuremark 0

"Futuremark Withdraws:
    Tero Sarkkinen, Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing at Futuremark, has posted an apology and withdrawal of his statements in our forums, after yesterday threatening legal action against HardOCP for posting our opinions about Futuremark's 3DMark benchmarks. You can find the full post here.

Please accept my sincererest[sic] apologies for myself reacting the way I did yesterday morning and for sending those emails to Kyle that he posted on the news page. I would like to hereby let everyone know that I am withdrawing all of that. Also, I feel that I owe everyone an explanation of why it happened."

From the [H]ard|OCP mainpage. :D

17. quack

quack Minimodder

A very wise move, considering he didn't have a legal leg to stand on. Plus it helps if you threaten to sue for the right thing - libel. ;)

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

yes, it is a very wise move by FutureMark. After all, Kyle is the big believer in real-world gaming benchmarking, or even evaluating, so alienating the "gamers" out there is the last thing that FutureMark should be doing.

19. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

I wonder what has damaged futuremark more, [H] saying one of their products "sucked" or the backlash from them attacking the community like this. I don't think a withdrawl will heal all of the damage.

Tags: Add Tags