1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling H70 temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MiNiMaL_FuSS, 8 May 2011.

1. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

[​IMG]

Okay, so I'm running a i7 920 @ 3.8ghz on a fairly nice low voltage, so shouldn't be generating too much heat from the overclock.

The temps you can see are the idle and after 30mins under Prime95.

These temps are safe, there's very little out there that will get upto those Prime temps, however I think I'm ideling high and am in general a little dispointed with the results.

I'm running Push/Pull duel exaughst (I know intake would be better but my case isn't geared for that). I'm using 2x S-Flex fans at 7volt, they are completely silent, the loudest thing in my system is the hardrive by quite a long way.

I'm assuming the problem could be my 7volted fans? although even with that I think ym temps are high.

AS5 is newly applied and the sink has been reseated. I know AS5 takes a while to cure, but I'm assuming I won't see more than a couple of C from that?

Thoughts welcome

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I'd say it's mostly the low fan speed.

Give the AS5 a few days to cure, and try running the fans at their normal voltage.

MiNiMaL_FuSS likes this.
  3. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Ouch i think those idle temps are too high...i get 30-35 even with 4.5ghz overclock that that was straight after putting on new tim the other day..i would expect you should be idling somewhere in the low 30's...

What is the case temps like, do you have any other exhaust fan?

MiNiMaL_FuSS likes this.
  4. MiNiMaL_FuSS

It's a p182, so a lil crampt, but has top exaught also and 2 front intakes (all 120mm).

My TRUE gave better tempratures, I'm thinking of reattching it using the H70 backplate (should fit) just for a quick tester to see what I get.

I'm gunna 12v the fans now, but the idea was I had silence!

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I also have the same cooler I did some research on these a while ago and there was some people saying that after they had reaplied new tim with AS5 the temps went up apparently the H70 comes with shin etsu on them and once they had applied the Tim with shin etsu the temps returned back to normal.
    I use shin etsu on mine and get good temps the hottest core on mine is 17c lower than your lowest

Last edited: 8 May 2011
    Apophis54 and MiNiMaL_FuSS like this.
  6. MiNiMaL_FuSS

my h70 was second hand, so the thermal pad had already gone - shin etsu is ment to be better than AS5, however I dont have any to hand - unless you want to send me some spare ;)

Right took the side off, put both cpu fans to 12v, and the case fans to 'medium' (antec 3 speeds).

Result: a 5c drop in temps on the core, not worth the noise and still poor temps.

Ideas?

Apophis54 likes this.
  7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Yea mine was 2nd hand too I bought the tim on ebay sadly I dont have any atm other wise I would send you some mate but as said its the one that seems to be the best for these coolers

Last edited: 8 May 2011
    Apophis54 likes this.
  8. MiNiMaL_FuSS

just bought some on ebay, £1.45 for a single application syringe, which will do the job.

Apophis54 likes this.
  9. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Be sure to post back with results; I'm intrigued as to whether TIM brand can make that much of a difference!

TSB

MiNiMaL_FuSS and Apophis54 like this.
  10. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

if the h50 comes with the same paste as the h70 (i would assume it would?) i actually noticed a drop in temperature after switching the TIM to AC5. i attribute the temp drop to a coincidence from reseating the cooler, but that to me would suggest the stuff corsair uses is pretty close to AC5....

Apophis54 and MiNiMaL_FuSS like this.
  11. MiNiMaL_FuSS

I'll let you all know about the paste when it arrives.

In the mean time my cpu has turned out to be a real golden boy! I'm down 10c from taking the voltage down very little really.

[​IMG]

In an attempt to get lower temps I've set about systematically lowering all the voltages I can and re-testing stability. From my previous clocking experience those voltages are amazing!

at 3.8ghz clock:

CPU - 1.112
    pll - 1.80
    ich - 1.10
    ioh - 1.10
    qpi -1.2

Although my idle temps are still too high. What's intersting is that the idle temps flucuate alot, under my TRUE my idle temps stayed rock solid. Could this inidicate anything?

Also what corner of the cpu is core 0 on, I dont like that it's so much hotter, so may try and lap the cpu?

Last edited: 9 May 2011
  12. MiNiMaL_FuSS

I honestly doubt TIM can make much difference, most people I have discussed this with sat the supplied TIM is upto about 2C better than AS5. It's not going to solve my idle tempratures.

It's hard to say how much I'm going to chase this, my load tempratures are fine and my system is silent so I can't complain. I just feel they could be better and that there's definately something wrong with my idle temps.

I'd be really interested for other H50/H70 owners to post their temps, especially if you run an i7.

13. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

14. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Did you try remove the middle HDD cage from the case and mount it there?

15. MiNiMaL_FuSS

Nope it's mouted on the rear 120mm as an exaught.

Didnt realise it would fit in that middle HDD space, I have an intake fan there.

I'm not keen to use it as an intake as you'll get really warm air into the rest of the system from a rad.

16. murraynt

murraynt Modder

The problem is that the H70 isnt working to its full potential at all.
    It is being cooled by warm air.

All the excess heat from the motherboard/GFX all has to go trough the rad no doubt slowing everything up.

It would be ok if you had a case with two or more exhaust fans but you don't :(
    I have a feeling all of your temperatures would go down by putting it in the front and having a dedicated exhaust fan on your case.

Look how well the Antec 100 and 300 preform with only exhaust fans

17. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Until last week, I ran my 980x/H70 with AS5. After building a pc for a mate last week with a Dark Rock cooler, I had some of the supplied shin-etsu TIM left over and thought.. why not! I've dropped about 6 degrees overall, and my office is air conditioned, always at 18C.

It's not like I don't know how to use AS5 either, I've been using it for years now. I'm so impressed with the shin-etsu, I'm converted.

18. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

What is this godly substance?

Do you have a model/product number or something for me?

TSB

19. MiNiMaL_FuSS

most WC setups are run as exaughst, granted it's not the best option for the cpu, but it's far safer than filling ur case with air that's just been through a rad. If it were a normal heatsink a might agree, but rads should always be exaughst.

20. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew