1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Hands on with 6-screen ATI Eyefinity

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 10 Mar 2010.

1. Nictron

Nictron Minimodder

3 Screens for gaming = YES.

6 for gaming = no way!

6 for work = Awesomeness!

2. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

As an eyefinity user, the only reason i can see this card useful at all is for the extra memory when using 3 screens.
    Odd number of screens should be the only way to go really.
    Or a massively surround 5 screens Oo

For 3 screens bezels aint a problem what so ever, although some people will just whine all day about them without seeing a setup.

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

True I wish graphics cards as a standard supported 3 screens instead of just two (without the need for special display port monitors), that would be the ideal setup in most situations.

4. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

so if I have understood this correctly, in order to line the screens up through the bezels they just throw bits of the image away? Rubbish.

At the Newcastle Maker Faire today (go if you can, its awesome) some people were demonstrating something for beyond HDTV. It was a screen in the middle, as usual, and a projector behind your head pointing at a convex mirror. The mirror shone the image round the room, and it provided peripheral vision for you in a remarkably good way.

It is a little bit ropey atm, the projected image was very pixellated, but if you were watching something on the primary screen the effect you got was extremely good.

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

For a three screen setup, where the ones either side just act as peripheral vision, the "loss" of something behind bezels isn't as jarring. For a 3x2 array, I can see it being a problem, though. :(

But ultimately, the type of games that surround most 'makes' (racing sims, flight sims) have obstructions to peripheral view anyway - the rollcage in a car, the cockpit in a plane... hm, that's a point... has anyone who wears glasses ever complained that the glasses hide/block part of their vision - the frames and the arms...?

Obviously the "perfect" surround setup would be using projectors for a seamless surround setup. Space and cost don't make that viable for everyone, though. :( As cool as it would be! :D

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I still find this too cost prohibitive for it to be even considerable for most.

And the 3x2 setup is really weak imo.. 3x3 is where it's at!

7. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

when payday comes ill be going for the 3x1 route. should be fun!

Tags: Add Tags