1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard drive board swap

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Adam-Mck, 22 Aug 2007.

1. Adam-Mck

Adam-Mck What's a Dremel?

I was wondering if it was possible that if i swapped a interface board from a good hard drive to a hard drive which seems to have a damaged interface. would it work?

need to find a quantum fireball 20gb

2. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

There are a few problems with that, I remember someone doing that and having issues with codes that are specific to each driver, someone can probably chime in with more info.

3. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I did it with two identical IBM Deskstar GXP and it worked... I wouldn't mind trying if they were not identical though....but that's just me

4. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

If I didn't have sensitive data on either drive, I'd totally do it too, Ghys.

As it is, anyway, most newer hard drives have a lot of configuration data stored on the board, and that's unique on a drive-by-drive basis. If you're lucky, either the Quantum Fireballs won't store config data (it's a fairly old drive), or you'll find a board that is close enough to work long enough to yank your data off. I'd say go for it, it's worth a shot to back up your data, but don't trust the hard drive. Even if it works, it's already died once (Oh noes! Zombie hard drive!), and is rather likely to fail again.

5. Adam-Mck

Drive0 = Quantum Fireball 20gb (dead pcb)
    Drive1 = Fireball 3 20gb (my os drive)

well you see drive0 has a slight burn across one of its chips i think its something to do with power as its on the side where the molex is. however i brought in drive1 in today and the possition of the motor connections are differnt grrrrrr. i need to get drive0 running as i need to recover the images that are stored on there. if i cant get pcb swaped then its off to a Hard drive recovery lab (money :waah:)

6. identikit

identikit Minimodder

That's serious moneys, I got a rough quote from a data recovery lab and you're looking £200-400. You'd be looking at around £300 for the amount of work needed there.

I had a problem like this a few days ago, solved it with £40 of data recovery software, backup your data!

7. Adam-Mck

not my data mate, i have a backup system in place. its someones at work.

yeha ive had quotes ranging from £290 to £750 i hope for £750 you get a free PC, or a mouse mat at least

8. mrmagoo_83

mrmagoo_83 What's a Dremel?

Yea, you can't swap those boards like you wish, used to be able to do that whenever you wanted, but not now a days.

9. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Buy another drive and yank the board off of that. Looks to me like you can buy the identical drive for about $25US. That's a lot cheaper than data recovery.