1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harddrive on slave?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rekarp, 20 Sep 2004.

1. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

I wondering if i can run my 160gig WD harddrive in slave mode and have the cd-rom in master. The reason is that the cable isnt long enough and i cant put 2 cables in. And i dont want to buy a new cable. So can i?

2. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

As long as one is master and one is slave it does not matter what connector on the ide cable they use.

3. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

but i thought you can only have the master on the far end?/

4. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

It doesn't matter. You can even have the HDD on the end and CD in the middle with CD as master. You might want to put the Cd on different drive than the HDD or you will kill performance

5. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

but would it be oky if the harddrive was a slave instead

it would be very hard for me to change it.

6. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Thats why i make everything cable select. It makes no difference where anything is plugged in. As long as its jumperd correctly it makes no difference

7. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

froggy beat me 2 it

Last edited: 20 Sep 2004
  8. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Pwned :D
    [​IMG]

9. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

well looks like i have to tear down my setup........again :duh: :waah:

10. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

Your CD ROM is already in master? its OK to put your HD as slave.

11. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Yes it's OK to run your HDD as a slave, it's also OK to jumper your HDD as master and put it in the middle of the cable (where the slave usually goes), as long as the device (CD drive) at the end is jumpered as slave.

12. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Why can't you put 2 cables in? You'll be seriously sacrificing speed if you don't.

13. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

:nono:

Last time i said this on BT, someone snitched on me to another forum where they seamed to like themselfs more than google, and i got flamed. But then i was proved right.

SLAVE = slow.

not very slow granted, but when u've bought a nice spanky hdd u don't want it slowed.

14. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Perhaps, but it'll work...I didn't say which option was preferable, of course jumpering the HDD up to be master and then doing the cable however is easiest is better, but in the unlikely event of that being impossible then it will work - not as fast as having the HDD on master or just on separate channels, but usably.

15. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

like how much slower? Because if its not much ill leave it. It would be very difficult to remove my drive cage :duh: I would have to remove my mobo and the shroud/radiator. Then the drive cage. And im leak testing the cooling setup as we speak.

16. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

Can you add some detail here? You mean slow because it is sharing a cable or you mean even if it is the only device on a cable and it is set to slave, that will slow it down? Slow as in transfer speed or slow in being discovered by the system?

I am curious as to the argument / facts as you have them.

17. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

OK - I did some research (not to flame you) and I hate to say that whoever proved you right was wrong. Please go to the T13 website and buy the specification for IDE/ATA and if you read it, you will see that there is no provision for any difference between master/slave other than as a designation/address.

Thus, by the standard, there is, without question, no difference in performance between master and slave. Now if some company or implementation decides to go against the standard, that is another story all together. I would like to see any source that claimed other than this because T13 is the only official recognized authority on the subject.

Sorry, but mis-information is bad.

EDIT: I found the original ATA spec online. Read through it yourself. There is nothing to indicate the slave should be slower than the master for any reason, neither by design nor misfortune.

18. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

yes i dont have to tear it down :clap:

thank you all!!