1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Hardware fault - Need help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cyndre, 9 Jun 2011.

1. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

Ok so I'm waiting for my case for my new pc to be modded and looking to be another 2 - 3 weeks before I can build so I need to figure why my current machine is going haywire.
    Hoping someone can help.

World Of Tanks - Screen frequently goes black during gameplay followed by 999m/s ping and server disconnect.

Company of Heroes - Crashes every time I try to boot never even startying the game

Dawn of War II - Plays just fine until you finish a game then ctd

Eve Online - Works just fine no problems

BFBC2 - Unplayable on medium to low settings but hey doesn't crash :)

There has to be some connection and reason for this so would greatly appreciate if anyone can point me in the right direction of narrow down my problem.

XPS700 E6600 CPU
    2GB DDR2 XMS2 RAM
    Asus GTX285 GPU
    2 x 1TB Samsung F3 HDD
    Soundblaster x-fi Soundcard

The mainboard is a dell BTX
    700w Generic Dell PSU
    OS Windows 7 32bit
    All drivers uptodate using latest versions and all games patched.

Also when you turn on to boot you have to boot twice as on the first it hangs on the bios csreen at 1/4 loading but after you reboot it if just fine.

So any ideas?

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

TBH, it sounds like a possible PSU fault. Have you tried stressing the system with prime95 and furmark together, to see if it falls over? Generic Dell PSU - Gawd knows how good or bad that is. Could be struggling under heavy load, and blinking out.

Keep an eye on your CPU & GPU temps when stressing though. ;)

3. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:confused: I would also suspect PSU, if you can buy or try another PSU. Have you upgraded any part from the original Dell spec? Dell are likely to use components (and esp PSU) which are 'good enough' without sufficient margins for more demanding upgrades.

:thumb: First you may want to try a few free things. If anything is running o/c'ed put it back to stock, ideally set a slower RAM speed if possible too. Stress test different parts, pay particular attention to RAM. You could try a fresh OS install on your 2nd HD (leave key blank on install) and run disk checks, just to rule out the software side of things. You can try your RAM sticks individually, take out the X-Fi and use onboard (temporarily), if possible put a different gfx card in (uninstall drivers, shut-down, insert other card, install drivers) etc. Troubleshooting is horrible, I wish you the best in finding the solution.