1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware performance problem while gaming, please help...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maniac618, 20 Dec 2005.

1. Maniac618

Maniac618 What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone,

In the last week or so whenever I play any game I get low fps/rapid freezing every 2 seconds. This happens constantly no matter what is on screen every 2 seconds for about a 1/4 of a second/250ms each time.

It is really annoying especially on FEAR and Counterstrike because it mucks up aiming.

Does anyone know what could be causing these constant pauses/mini slow downs?

I've tried 3 different graphics drivers for my 6800gt and none solve the problem, this includes the latest driver from nvidias site too.

So i guess its not a graphics driver issue. It's also not my virus scanner either as i disabled it and still get the problem.

I have also defragged today and still the problem remains.

Is it a hardware issue do you think? If so what? Everything was fine until very recently.

Any suggestions welcome! :wallbash:

Last edited: 20 Dec 2005
  2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

It sounds like your processor or graphics card is overheating and throttling itself to prevent damage. What temperature ranges are you seeing on these components?

3. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I'd say it is overheating. Try playing with the side of your case off and see if it gets better. If so, better ventilation is in order.

4. Maniac618

the cpu is at 42 degrees when pretty much idle and the motherboard is a mere 24 degrees.

Not sure it's that.

As for the temp of the graphics card i don't have software to tell, but if it isn't that, any other ideas?

It's almost as if the hard drive keeps loading something in the background continuously every 2 secs. :duh:

5. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Check in your nVidia driver settings... under Advanced>GeForce xxxxxx>Temperature settings:

[​IMG]

6. Maniac618

Mine is at 60 idle on desktop.

I have to go to bed now, i'll check here tomorrow. Thanks for your help so far.

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

It may seem that 60 at idle is OK, but what card do you have? My card for instance, will change clock speeds between 2D and 3D applications. It runs at a lowly 275MHz in windows when that's all that is needed, but as soon as a 3D application is launched it gets poked with a stick and it runs full bananas.

[​IMG]

Mine idles, as you can see, at 31~32 degrees... but being hammered, it only goes up to 36~40 degrees. If I had poor cooling, and it idled at 60 to begin with, it could go dangerously high.

Is your system overclocked? Sometimes, if you push the FSB too high, the RAM can behave oddly, and cause games to get jerky. If so, try unclocked for a few games and see if that helps.

8. Maniac618

See that's the thing, I have not changed the system in any way and it's been fine since i bought it. I have 1 rear case fan, power supply fans obviously and 1 vantec tornado at the front, so cooling should be ok and has been since the start.

I've got a Gainward golden sample Geforce 6800gt. I get the problem when it's at stock and when i've got it factory overclocked.