1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Hardware Voltage Modification

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hixin, 5 Apr 2008.

1. Hixin

Hixin What's a Dremel?

Ok so I have been looking into safer ways of applying hardware mods for voltage.

So far i've noticed most peoples hold backs for it are the warranty being voided by them, and the fact your losing your best hardware in the process.

First point is that the reason the warranty becomes void is that your soldering or applying conductive fluid to things that is physically changing the hardware.

Second is that by having no warranty, your component cant be replaced, but by removing the first point you remove the warranty being voided and allowing you to get swift replacements.

Designs i've come up with so far look and would work fine so far, but me and others are in the process of simulating the circuits before we move on to prototyping.

What are peoples views on a piece of hardware you can essentially "clip" onto hardware to allow warranty safe, reliable voltage mods?

Would this be something that would actually be of use, or one of those things we all wish didnt go mainstream like all these poor quality pre-modded cases?

ALL input will be appreciated, good or bad.

2. FragileSocks

FragileSocks What's a Dremel?

Sounds ideal in theory. Would it be small enough to fit permanently into most set ups, and how much knowledge would the user need to apply it to the correct parts of the unit and without over-volting the subject? Perhaps a website could be made to give tutorials for common hardware.

3. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

"clip on" solutions would still void the warranty of the motherboard. You are altering the hardware no matter if you solder on it or not. Besides, such solution have to e custom made to every single motherboard made because of all the different designs. Even revisions of the same board could require different setups.

Besides, Isn't these solutions being more and more integrated and controlled from the BIOS?

I guess a custom BIOS would get you further TBH. (I'm not sure, but I think that voids the warranty as well, though)

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Overclocking is always a risk, now you're proposing wannabe overclockers become cheats and liars? If you want to try a risky mod, that's your right, but it's wrong to expect your money back if you break something. :nono:

5. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

QFT.

The other thing is I can't see a "clip-on" solution being practical in many places.

Have you seen the size of the resistors involved in vModding an 8800GTX for example?

I admire your efforts though and I wouldn't mind looking at your ideas if/when they come to fruition. However, the whole "warranty safe" bit just sounds a little risky and underhand.

Tags: