1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Haswell leaked info

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boltonuk007, 12 Dec 2012.

1. boltonuk007

boltonuk007 What's a Dremel?

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Socket 1150? Great :/

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

? Confused...

4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I saw this yesterday and to be honest I am not sure about it, because there is no speed increases in terms of GHZ over the existing cpu's, although it's supposed to be smaller and using less power you would have thought the clock speeds would have increased.

The main thing that is annoying me is, that they keep producing chips with graphics built in when they could easily just take them out and produce a 6 or 8 core cpu, as most people who would buy the 4770K or whatever it gets called, would already have a decent mid-high end graphics card anyway.

5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Well, we got two generations of chips out of S1155, for Intel that's like a million years without a new socket standard.

6. GeorgeK

I agree with this entirely - who would really ever use the HD 4000 graphics in a 3570K?

7. rollo

rollo Modder

90% of the people who buy them use the onboard graphics in the K series chips for ivybridge. As they are put into Office machines that might need the CPU performance but not any GPU performance.

Also colleges buy these sort of chips and do not want the extra expense of a GPU.

Just cause the enthusaist market hates onboard does not mean everybody else does. ( we are less than 1% of the total computer market )

Its also time for a new socket.

Intel will not release a 6-8 core cpu into there mainstream boards as it would take away any reason to purchase the top end chips + mobos.

4 core is the max for now and for the forseeable future in truth.

8. GeorgeK

I've not got anything against onboard graphics - just for 'office use' a £175 CPU (3570K) is overkill - an i3 would be much more suited (and even then still overpowered)

9. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Maybe these chips will have a much better IPC than 1155? I can't see them reducing clock speeds for any other reason.

I'm sure we'll see. Hell, with the integrated graphics thing, why not produce something like a 3570K or 3770K without the integrated graphics, and charge £10 less for it? It has to be cheaper on Intel's side even if they have to re-engineer part of a chip.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Its most likely cheaper for intel to put the graphics core on even if its disabled due to the way manufacturing works.

11. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Looking at it though, with games coming out next year and the fact that I am sticking with Windows 7 for now I cannot see the point in getting 1 of these chips.

Think if I want to spend money on my pc now, it will be a 2nd GTX 680 and Sandy Bridge E.

12. suragh

suragh Derp

My boss >.> long story, it is ever so frustrating to bring up.... :lol::lol::lol:

13. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

This. Many different models are manufactured on the same silicon disc. Physically speaking they are all identical. Afterwards they are binned according to how high the clock frequency can be set and which parts have manufacturing flaws. Manufacturing silicon chips is very delicate and such errors are very common, so not all chips from a disc can be top-end -- in fact, very few are, hence the high price.