1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs HD TV on your computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wyx087, 17 Oct 2010.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

not sure whether i've got the right prefix...... anyway, now that i've got a large enough monitor, that is viewable from below optimum viewing angle (eg. armchair) i found myself watching video more than playing games.

so my question is: how to get terrestrial HD TV on your computer?

from what i've read, i need a DVB-T tuner card (sorry, smc, can't buy your DVB-S card) BUT none of them i've seen says they do HD. if no HD, so that's the difference between £15 and £100, on the Novatech page? :wallbash: which card to get? one with remote would be great.

also, i believe i'll need antenna and licence, latter is easy to get, but former seems strange, what sort of signal gain antenna do i need? what is suitable for which tuner card? from my experience with wifi, high gain antenna may cook the receiver?

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Depending which one you get , if you've got cable or sky they plug straight in to the TV card the antenna is for receiving free view etc and if it's the type that's on the card they are crap because they are stuck down on the floor behind the PC. Some will take a normal aerial if you change the plug to the screw in type.

3. wyx087

4. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

DVB-T2 is the protocol (?) that carries Freeview HD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T2

A quick Google has not shown any DVB-T2 tuners available, but I'm still looking.

Edit: You can get DVB-S2 tuners, but I'm not 100% sure they can get Freeview HD. The wiki page mentions HDTV, but Freeview HD is apparently based on DVB-T2.

At home, we have a Samsung LE32C650 and that can definitely receive Freeview HD (major selling point) but I can't find any technical info on whether it's DVB-T2 or S2.

Super triple edit: I don't think there are any DVB-T2 tuners available, and apparently that's the only thing Freeview HD is broadcast on.
    Other options are cable and satellite I guess.

Or just torrent your favourite series (that might not even be on Freeview HD anyway) in glorious 720p or better and watch at your leisure.

Last edited: 17 Oct 2010
    wyx087 likes this.
  5. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I found two DVB-T2 products:

...this: http://www.pctvsystems.com/Products...StickT2/tabid/248/language/en-GB/Default.aspx. From some other stuff I found on the web it apparently only decodes at 720p and is not compatible with Windows Media Centre - you have to use their media software.

...and this but it is not released yet: http://shop.blackgold.tv/epages/BT3159.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3159/Products/BGT3620. It is very close though as there are details to DVB-T2 tuners in recently released driver inf files.

wyx087 likes this.
  6. wyx087

wait, so all those HTPC builds with a TV tuner are watching SD TV's? i thought a lot of people on this forum has built their own HTPC with a tv tuner.

rep+ for finding that, Fingers, and pimonserry for the effort :)

7. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

Have you considered freesat? HD on terrestrial channels seems pretty limited anyway, and cards that can handle freesat seem fairly common. Obviously not great if you want a portable antenna though.

8. sourdough

sourdough Minimodder

Those who were using dvb-c were able to receive HD content. The preferred software of choice is between Windows Media Player and Mediaportal.

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Cheers for the rep. FYI, avforums has a large number of threads about the subject of Freeview HD, including getting it onto a PC.

10. wyx087