1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD Trouble

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TwiSteD LoGic, 16 May 2002.

1. TwiSteD LoGic

TwiSteD LoGic What's a Dremel?

I just got done merging partitons with Partition Magic 7.0 Pro and when I rebooted all of my data is gone. I combined 3 partitions into one, but it seems that it didnt entirely work. My Computer still shows 3 drives, two of which were totally unaffected, the other however, the data doesnt now show up, but if i right click on it and check out hte properties, the space is still used. Anyone know how to recover the data. I thought abotu making a drive image, but that still doesnt solve the issue... PLEASE HELP

2. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

go back into partition magic and see if it thinks the partitions are now one drive. Also did all the differnet drives use the same file structure?

3. TwiSteD LoGic

Partition Magic still reads them as 3 seperate drives, yes they were all using NTFS. It even shows the correct amount of free space, I just cannot acess the files on my Y: drive. I think that it is worth mentioning that I am running Window XP Professional. I have tried using the system restore, but that did not accomplish anything useful. There must be a way to recover this data, Windows still recognizes its ther (by the disk space used), but it wont allow access to it.

4. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

I should warn you that Partition Magic (even 7) does NOT work under Windows XP no matter what they say on their website, I've tried it on 3 systems with varying levels of failure. The biggest failure occured on my 80GB drive, where Partition Magic damaged it so much (simple operation of combining FAT32 partitions into 1 partition and converting that to NTFS) that I had to low level format the drive (taking just over 16 hours).

Partition Magic and XP do not mix and Powerquest should be sued for saying they do.

5. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

dont use xp...easy...
    but saying that pq magic kinda buggered up win2k for me after doing wat i asked it to....

6. TwiSteD LoGic

Thanks, I don't plan on using it again... damnit thats a 120gb drive needs to be reformatted ****!

Anyway to rescan the drives contents?

7. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

how does a format on a 120gb drive take. It must take ages!

8. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

yeah, i learned the hard way about PM7 on xp also.. thats why i insist people use system commander for their partition work.. you dont even need the actual program, just the boot disk it makes, since it runs with its own bootloader it will work with almost any os, unix (all), ntfs, hpfs, beos fat, fat 16, fat32, etc.. even converts ntfs.. :)

-scoob8000

9. TwiSteD LoGic

so no idea how to recover the data?
    Windows still knows the space on the HDD is used, just wont read it, I think the file index is just fuxed any way to recreate/refresh it?

10. Marzupial

Marzupial What's a Dremel?

hmmm....no probs with PM7 and XP Pro 4 me...re partitioned and re formatte a few times...?? :eyebrow:

Anyways we all have different systems.

Data Recovery - I managed to recover some files with a program called: GET DATA BACK!

Download it here , there could be a newer version tho. I think i used 1.5?

Email me for more info. ;)

11. TwiSteD LoGic

Just to let you alll know, I managed to recover my data, not sure if its all intact, but most of it is. out of order, but intact. I booted to linux and it was able to read files, they were given location numbers so alot of them where deleted and had no size, but i got alot, if not all of my data back

12. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

Spinrite should recover about anything.. just ourt of curosity, how did you recover what you did?