1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V HDMI woes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spanky, 16 Aug 2018.

1. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Guys, a little help needed.

The PC i have in my front room hooked up to the TV will not go past the Windows logo to the lock/password screen ... it just goes black then TV tells me no signal.

It will boot in safe mode fine but it will not damn start as normal. Ive tried installing new VGA drivers in safe mode hoping that was it but no ... never had no issues with it up until now and its annoying somewhat.

Any ideas???

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

More details needed. GPU? CPU? Which port is the HDMI output coming from (onboard or discrete)? OS? Driver version? TV model?

3. silk186

silk186 Derp

Is the computer connected to multiple displays, sometimes when booting it will only display on the primary display until it has booted into windows with both displays on.
    We need more info about the card. Have you tried using the MB HDMI port, another HDMI port on the card or DP to HDMI?

4. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Its a GTX 980 with the Ryzen 3 as in Sig running Win 10. Its not connected to anything else. Was working fine up until Monday then is all went to crap. I installed the latest card drivers after i booted in safe mode.. Still the same. Its on a 4k LG TV. Ive connected the computer to my other monitor via DP and it boots up just fine .. even ran Vally just to ensure the card hadnt crapped out on me.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2018
  5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Does the Win+Ctrl+Shift+B combo [reset graphics driver] do anything?

And are you doing audio over HDMI or just video?

6. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Not tried the Win+Ctrl+Shift+B combo .. that said it doesnt get as far as the lock screen .. But yes using the HDMI for Audio as well as Video

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Does it boot fine without audio over HDMI [by forcing audio over headphones or the like]?

8. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Not tried that either. I will have a go. Would make sense to try as it booted over DP with no problems at all.

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

If you have another PC then the lazy method would be to use Teamveiwer (or similar) to remote in once it's booted connected to the TV and correct the video output settings using that.

Otherwise:
    Connect to another monitor.
    Download but do not install the latest driver version.
    Disconnect from any network.
    Uninstall the Nvidia drivers.
    Delete the C:\NVIDIA and/or C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Installer2 folders (once uninstalled).
    Connect to the TV (still off network).
    Boot and confirm display output with default VGA drivers.
    Install Nvidia drivers.

I'd recommend against using DDU or other 'clean uninstaller' programs, they cause more problems than they solve.