1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headphones and speakers playing at same time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeekyGray, 27 Feb 2008.

1. GeekyGray

GeekyGray Are we there yet?

Hi there,

I have recently upgraded my computer, and with that came a new motherboard. On the new motherboard it has an integrated Realtek HD Audio chip (ALC 883), where as my old motherboard used a AC97 chip. My case has a AC97 front panel though. I know that HD Audio is backwards compatible with AC97, and have got my headset going by plugging it into the front panel, and mic and headphones work nice and dandy.

The problem is that it doesn't mute my 'normal' speakers when I plug in the headset, which my old setup used to do. I have had a play around with the Realtek sound manager, and in the Audio I/O tab, have seen an option to mute rear speaker port when headset is plugged in, but in order to get the AC97 front panel to play nice with the HD Audio chip you have to disable the plug detection of the front panel. This in turn disables the checkbox to mute the rear speaker.

My question is, is there another workaround to auto mute my speakers when I plug in my headset, or is it simply a limitation of the HD Audio in order make it play nice with AC97 front panel? Currently I just have to turn the power off the speakers, but if there is a better solution I would love to hear it. Its kind of defeating the purpose of using headphones at the moment :eyebrow:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Gray