1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Headset Questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ream, 8 May 2011.

1. Ream

Ream What's a Dremel?

Hi, I thought i would use the knowledge of of the Bit-tech forums for my own needs. I have a few questions about headsets. as I am after a new set for around £65.

So are 5.1 sets just a gimmick? or would i be better off with a regular headset? or a new soundcard and headset?

I currently use a cheap set of creatives and onboard sound, this is for 95% gaming and 5% video watching and editing.

thanks in advance.

I have been looking at the Roccat Kave 5.1 and the Corsair HS1a with a Asus xonar DG 5.1 card both about the same price.

Last edited: 8 May 2011
  2. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/peripherals/

I believe Bit-Tech's top ones for your price range would be the Corsair HS1A and the Razer Carcharias.

The HS1A comes with 3.5mm jack so you would still be using the integrated sound on your mobo, however, if you wanted ones with a built in external sound card, the HS1s connect through USB.

The Carcharias connects through 3.5mm jacks aswel.

3. Kakeshoma

Kakeshoma What's a Dremel?

I strongly recommend Corsair HS1.
    Ive used tons of sets, last was Roccat Kave with Xonar D2X sound card, the HS1 is by far the most comfortable of them all, and the sound is just excellent. 50mm drivers makes a huge difference over other sets.

4. Strudul

Strudul ~

I would not say 5.1 is a gimmick at all.

Especially for gaming. I am guessing you want to use them to soundwhore (hear where everyone and everything is). I have tried varies stereo and 5.1 heasets and 5.1 gives you a much better idea of where people are and what is going on.

5. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

5.1 is a complete gimmick.. As are gaming headsets in general.

You'll get that same surround effect on a pair of stereo headphones with Dolby Surround (or similar) through your sound card, and you won't have to deal with the awful sound quality that you get with the several small speakers crammed into that casing.

Gaming headsets tend to break quickly, are made of crappy materials, and sound woeful compared to good similarly priced headphones. Anyone who says otherwise either hasn't experienced a proper stereo headphone setup, or is sponsored by a headset manufacturer..

Find me someone that says "yeah those Audio Technica AD700s really weren't good for gaming, I'm so glad that I bought the Logitech/Razer/Corsair/Tritton/Turtle Beach/whatever set!" and I'll reconsider, but pretty much all success stories with headset buying go more like this: "My gaming headset broke after six months/has been held together with tape and rubber bands for a year, what should I buy? Oh? Real headphones you say? Wow, this is much better!"

I could link you to several threads on here that went exactly like this.

My belief is that a real pair of headphones is the best option, for every budget.

For your budget, the best option IMO is a JVC HA-RX700 (~£30) + the Xonar DG (~<£30) + a desktop or clip-on mic (£5-10?).

6. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I strongly recommend the Senheisser 166 USB (even hase built in soundcard, which u can bypass if you have a good sound card), Been using it now for 3 years and the sound is great also people can understand me better then most headsets/phones. (I use skype for calling)
    the only niggle is it is the on ear cups instead of over the ear.

7. Strudul

Strudul ~

5.1 headsets and gaming headsets do not break easily.... I have had mine (sharkoon xtatics) for a good year and they are in perfect condition. The reason they break is because they are not treated very well.

I agree that for music, a good stereo headset will give much better quality, but for gaming I still believe a decent 5.1 headset is the way to go.

8. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

Using the Roccat Kave's myself - bloody brilliant headset. I was reluctant to buy them at first after reading Custom PC's review on them, but they couldn't be far off. The sound quality, bass, and true 5.1 are just fantastic. Built like a brick shithouse as well being German :)

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Definitely agree. Better to get a high quality stereo head set.

10. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

Everyone told me that before I bought my Roccat's... couldn't be further wrong. I had a pair of Creative Fatal1ty's before these with CMSS 3D on, and it was very good yes, but is nothing in comparison to true 5.1.

11. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

HS1's are damn comfortable and sound clear as anything, but they do lack on bass. If this doesn't bother you, or if you're OK with simply EQing a bit more, go for it.

Otherwise I'd suggest just some regular stereo headphones and a separate microphone. Definitely skip the surround malarkey, I'm yet to find a proper set, let alone at that budget...

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

What external mic would people recommend? I've already got a nice set of Sennheiser headphones, so need a mic that won't sound like ass on voice comms, but equally not an insane price.

13. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

I agree 100% with ^^

I also own a pair of sharkoon xtatics, previously played with a decent set of sony stereo cans, and bugger me they dont compare, music indeed is not what they are there for, but using the spdif with the xtatics is amazing, you can even adjust each speaker's level independantly. I've never been so good at BC2! I'm so glad i paid the extra buck for these

14. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I use a Logitech desktop mic that I bought for $8, never get complaints about voice quality. Just don't boost the gain too much and watch your volume, and a cheap mic will do.

15. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

while more expensive the snowball microphone is surprisingly good sound quality, near studio. its also nice looking kind of like an old school radio announcer look.

as for the op, i also agree that spending the money on standard stereo headphones is a better choice, if you want one with an integrated mic you could look for ones geared towards dj's or recording studio use. even the bargain ones in these categories have much better sound range and build quality than most gamer phones. even my frends headphones i originally got for my ipod sound better than the razer carcharias my mate has.