1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heat issue.. help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aCe2k, 13 Oct 2002.

1. aCe2k

aCe2k What's a Dremel?

As you can see in my sig.. I've got an XP2100+ mounted with an ThermalTake Vulcano 7+ but it's so f***** hot.

Is it normal for the cpu to run @ 59'C idle ???
    Someone?

Hva i used too much thermal Compound maybe?

2. Drastik

Drastik Minimodder

not good sir i have a 1.4 tbird its 46 idle 52 full on a volcano 7

3. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

First things to check:

Make sure it's properly seated, it may be slightly off the core.

Are you using AS3 or AA3? If not, grab some and spread a paper thing layer.

Maybe you are usign too much, just a paper thing layer, as too much will just holf the heat in.

Volcano 7s aren't that great of coolers, especially for an XP 2100+, consider either under-clocking your CPU for a bit, or getting an upgrade. The Swiftech MCX something or the Alpha PAL8045 are tops right now. Sorry, I forget teh name of the Swiftech one.....

Make sure you remove any kind of silicon tape, thermal pads, or other "thermal compound" from teh base of the heatsink first, most heatsink come with some kind of gunk on them that actually raises your temperature. Just use and exacto-blade or similar to scrape it off.

Is you heatsink level? Make sure it's been lapped.

That's about all I can suggest to you right now. Good luck. Those temps are quite dangerous though.

4. Drastik

Drastik Minimodder

mcx370 i believe there us new version just cnt member either lol

5. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

I believe that he was referring to the MCX 462 actually.

Check that your motherboard is compatible with that or the PAL8045 before ordering.

6. aCe2k

aCe2k What's a Dremel?

Good tips all.. Will check and dobble check everything :D

7. aCe2k

aCe2k What's a Dremel?

well, i've got a chance to check the heatsink..
    doesn't look like a problem... so i'm thinking it's the heatsink itself.. the Vulcano

so, does any of y00 have an url to that mcx370 ?
    or the Alpha PAL8045 ?

am using AS3 g00 :clap:

8. wicked

wicked What's a Dremel?

I had a very similar problem with the Volcano 7+. My xp1800@2000 went up to 50-60C and then it would freeze. After checking I found that the metal plate which holds the fan on the sink was touching the socket and thereby lifitng the cooler slightly above the core. After fixing it, the temps never got over 45-47C under load with the fan set to medium. I'm using AS3 also.

Btw, where do you get the temps? From BIOS, Win, or on-die sensor? I've got a Thermaltake sensor right next to the core and in windows, the Gigabyte utility adds almost 10C to that number!

9. aCe2k

aCe2k What's a Dremel?

Well my xp2100 @ 1733 is producing 55'C now.. Idle... this is gathered from Motherboard Monitor ( http://mbm.livewiredev.com ) and i've also got an sensor glued to the heatsink about 5mm away from the core and it is showing 49.5'C...

I did have a GlobalWin heatsink but the cpu reached 70'C after running 30sec idle.. and would freeze up on me.

[​IMG]

I'm not shure if it's touching or not... but will have a go at socket if no other heatsink with better performance is avalible here in norway...

Stating that is coz the Swiftech MCX462 is too expencive and too noicy for my likings.. bit heavy too

10. aCe2k

aCe2k What's a Dremel?

Took some more pic's...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any ideas ???

Is the heat shadow on the heatsink telling me all is ok ??

11. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I'd say your using too much AS3. As has been said before, a paper thing layer is required on the core.

Another thing to do is to squeeze a blob of AS3 on the HS base, and rub it in (Be sure to use gloves when you do this - AS3 ia a bitch to get of your fingers). Then wipe of the excess. This will fill in the microscopic scratches and pits in the bottom of the HS.

More detailed instructions can be found here:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

12. aCe2k

aCe2k What's a Dremel?

Maybe wicked had a point there...

have a look at his:

[​IMG]

see those edges ?? well, i cut those away and my cpu dropped 3'C (down to 51'C idle)

but i also removed some of the Artic Silver 3, so what did it i dont know but at least it's going the right way...

and now to start reading AS's instructions (again) :D

13. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

The weight of the PAL8045 and Swiftech MCX462 aren't a problem, because unlike the stupid TT volcano heatsink, they bolt to the motherboard rather than relying on tiny little pieces of plastic to hold them in place.

The fact that you have to modify the heatsink for it even to sit correctly is indicative of TT's poor design.

You have a motherboard which is quite happy with the Alpha, which performs superbly well with quieter fans (while the swiftech relies more on fan power, due to the densely packed pins). I'd suggest you go that route.

14. wicked

wicked What's a Dremel?

Yup, those are the edges that kept it above the core. Didn't happen the first time I installed it though. The Volcano 7+ is the best cooler available here. I would also buy a Swiftec, Alpha or Thermalright, but shipping them to this godforsaken place is like half the price of the cooler :-(

15. aCe2k

aCe2k What's a Dremel?

Sorry to hear that :/
    As i've read up on the Alpha and it does rank high on my "Need to replace the f00kin Vulcano fast" project :D

I've also been reading up on the OCZ Goliath 2 SE Heatsink over at modtown.co.uk and that to is ranking high on my antiVulcano project :D

( http://modtown.co.uk/mt/review.php?id=oczgoliath2sehsf )

16. George

George Bah

hello,

you say around 60c idle, so your talking around 65c load? plus if your not reading from the diode, you add on around another 15c, so thats 80c... bit more and you have a dead chip...

and is that burn marks on the heatsink base i can see ? i had them on my waterblock when i burnt my XP2000 out...

thanks,

.icecube

17. aCe2k

aCe2k What's a Dremel?

Nope

60'C is 100% over 1 hour...

after the fixes i've done today i'm down to 56'C fully loaded... but still to much if ya ask me... :/

Going for a new heatsink

18. George

George Bah

ah, 56c load, should be fine then, as long as its stable, your fine. :)

if you have the spare cash and 4 bolting holes around your socket, go for an Alpha PAL8045....

my XP2100 @ 1.95 watercooled is @ 36c atm...

thanks,

.icecube

19. aCe2k

aCe2k What's a Dremel?

now that's what i call c00l :D :clap: :rock:

20. George

George Bah

hehe, thanks... :D

its amazing how much the ambient tempreture effects watercooling, im now sitting @ 30/31c...

goodluck with the cooling anyway, if you got an Alpha or something, you should be able to get some more out of the chip. Im hoping to hit 2.0 when i get my new mobo/ram @ xmas... :)

.icecube